Cultivated Reef

JBJ 48w causing high water temps?!

Raise

Hey.

I recently gave my buddy my 48 JBJ for his newly setup 5.5

For some reason though the tank has been running oddly hot. The ac is on in the house and at 76, yet the temp gets to 82 and even hit 85..... When i had the lights only one fan worked and I never had a heat problem..yet he FIXED the second fan and its now on aswell. Can 2 24w pc's heat the water like this or what?!

btw- he hasnt had a heater for 2 weeks either.

ray

btw- his name is kslater and maybe he'll chime in

quick & simple way of isolating or eliminating contributing factors would be to run one day without the lights on. if he still hits the temps or even close to them then it's more likely the ambient temps or season is the culprit.

imo it's probably both the lights and the season. the AC thermostat may say 76 but it only kicks on when its sensor goes higher, not necessarily when your tank's immediate area goes beyond 76 (i.e lagtime). vice versa for the winter times.

that's why tanks running hotter in the spring even with AC's tuned to whatever temps. in the winter, the tank's heater is the dominant temp controller (vs. AC controller). since it is already imbedded within the system you do not notice any significant lagtime in temp response as it reacts immediately to temp dips.

Archived