inTank Media Baskets

Dumb Questions Ive got lots

horsehunter

horsehunter

I currently keep 8 tanks of African cichlids and am wanting to try an marine tank. I will be setting up a 25 gallon tall 24x12x20.

I will use 2 65w PC's, Aqua clear 200 or 300, AC 402 PH, Tronic 100w heater, 20 lbs LR , 4 inch deep sand bed,

Planning on a pair of some sort of clown, and some soft corals,a cleaner shrimp, and some hermit crabs and snails. Most livestock purchases will be made using store credits where I sell my cichlids.

Now the dumb questions

If I add the LR in 2 lots do I have to cure the second lot in a seperate tank before adding?

Does the LR and any corals have to be kept low enough in the tank so that they are not exposed during water changes?

Could any hard corals be kept in this tank up close to the lights?

Will this tank be hard to move in about 6 months while I have some renovations done on my den. I considered putting it on a microwave cart on casters. I once used a computer cart as a stand for 2 twenty callon tanks and could move it arround if I took about 5 gallons out of each tank.

Please make any suggestions or warnings that you think might help.

Thanks Frank

Question 1.. You will only need to cure the rock in a second tank if you've added fish or inverts... adding rock to a tank with livestock is hazardous... if you haven't added any livestock between time A and time B, you're fine, just wait a little while to add livestock as the new LR will cause a small cycle

I try to keep mine that way... although my GSP becomes exposed a bit... for the more sensative corals I'd say don't let the water drop below them while doing the WC... hardy corals like GSP and Xenia won't care as long as it's quick...

Hard Corals tend to be more sensative, and would probably end up behind exposed by water changes since you'd need to put them up so high... although, I'm experimenting with some digita under 3x55w (but it's not exposed during water changes)

If you wanted to do the tank right.. you'd have the 25g tank, and a 10g (or so) sump/fuge under/above/beside (after my first tank, a 25, I really wish I had set one up before hand)... so you're really talking about moving 35g... not impossible, but my 25 ain't goin' no where.. it's like a person on life support.. heh heh..

I think it really depends on the surface... you'll be able to roll it smoother on a hard floor then a carpeted floor, but I don't think it's impossible.. just do like you did before and remove as much as you can without exposing your coral... make sure whatever you put it on can handle the weight though... your tank is quite a bit more heavy then a microwave...

deacon hemp
Originally posted by Xavier k...

Hard Corals tend to be more sensative, and would probably end up behind exposed by water changes since you'd need to put them up so high... although, I'm experimenting with some digita under 3x55w (but it's not exposed during water changes)

[/b]

Xavier i disagree with you on this one a lot of sps are out of water for extended periods of time in the wild,they could be out of the water during a water change no problem.

horsehunter

Thanks for the help does the hardware seem reasonable?

I think I will try to get the tank drilled before I start so a sump could be incorperated at a later date. Where would I look for fittings that could be plugged for now and easilly opened when I am ready for a sump/fuge. Imay build a stand and try to incorperate some heavy duty machinery casters (hidden) so the tank can be moved out of the room and back in after renovations are complete.

Thanks Again

Frank

Archived