SaltCritters.com

I'm a murderer!

facepainter

facepainter

Bear with me:

After my (almost) 6 week cycle I added the CUC. That was last week. Today I bought my one (and only) fish. A yellow tail damsel.

I spent the better part of the day watching him enjoy his new home, exploring the LR and finding some favorite spots.

Before I was about to go to sleep, I took a look for my new buddy in his LR hiding spot - not there. I finally found him, dead, stuck in my filter :(

I've removed the attachments to the "sucky" (technical term) part of the filter and the piece that's submerged is only a few inches into the water. I guess he swam too close and got sucked up.

Long story short: I feel like a total jerkass for letting my fish be destroyed by a filter motor. Is there any way to prevent this?

Did you remove the intake screen? If it was on, then I seriously doubt that is what killed him. What are your ammo/nitrites and nitrate levels at?

facepainter

The water parameters are fine. I checked this morning.

I'm 100% sure the filter motor tore him up. I had to pull his lifeless body from the unit.

I may not have been clear enough in my first post. My filter unit - the part that is in the water, that takes water from the tank, is comprised of three tubes. I removed two of them. There is no screen covering the intake. While swimming he must have been sucked up.

facepainter

Got it. One of the two attachments has an intake screen. I put it back on and no fish will be able to get sucked up again.

Poor little Damsel.

Archived