Cultivated Reef

Lights on/off??

Littleoceans

Littleoceans

I have some green algae starting to grow on my LR... and I have some cleanup critters to help... Am I running my lights too long? They are on a timer for 12 on 12 off..... What do most of you run your lights for? Thanks....

Here, I'll make it even easier.... My original post from another thread.....

Answer as many of these questions as you can,(the more, the better) and someone can help you better. Also USE the SEARCH button... actually look on this page, there are posts about algae in this forum. Actually I just typed algae into the search button... there are 1,789 threads containing information on algae. If you can't find any ideas after looking through these, Then come back here and well help you.

This is not a slam or anything, but many people have spent time posting answers to this question multiple times, and the information is already there. Unfortunately it's easier to post a thread with a question than it is to search through a few posts.

If you can't find an answer, come back to this post and fill in the info, and people will be willing to help.

Size?

How long it's been running?

inhabitants?

What kind of water do you use?

LR?

LS?

Filtration system?

Lights (what kind/photo period/how old are bulbs)

What food&how much?

Additives?

Salinity?

Ammonia?

Nitrites?

Nitrates?

Phosphates?

Also I'm at fault for not doing this, but I would reccomend it.

Put your tank specs in a quote so everytime you post, they come up at the bottom of your post. It lets people see what you have and help you better.

freakaccident

I don't think lighting has that much to do with algae formation. Growth yes but I think it is introduced. Of course it will grow more with more light but if the algae isn't there to begin with then you can run your lights as long as you want. I run my 2.5g for 14 hours a day and no algae other than the macro which I put in there. I have a 10g which is an algae nightmare and even with the lights off the stuff keeps growing. Can't get rid of it.

Littleoceans

Size: 7gal minibow

How long it's been running: 3.5 weeks

inhabitants: 3 crabs, 3 snails,1 false clown, green zoos, shrooms, pulsing xenia, grape caulerpa, red macro algae (fauchea) bristle worms....

What kind of water do you use: walmart RO

LR: 9# tonga

LS: 12# argg-live reef sand

Filtration system: aquaclear 300 w/DIY surface skimmer w/fuge

Lights: CLS 32watt 50/50 Brand new 12on/12 off

What food: frozen (shrimp, brine, clams)

Salinity: 1.023

Ammonia n/a

Nitrites n/a

Nitrates n/a

Phosphates n/a

Can give you the specs on these Monday... left test kit at home. (ya, I know I am going to get flamed on this.......

The good news is the coraline is coming on as strong as the green.....

freakaccident

Heres my opinion:

1. The tank is super new. Give it time.

2. Switch to Walmart distilled water in the gallon jugs. Those RO machines aren't very well cared for. I saw one being worked on in a grocery store once and there was algae growing in the plastic lines! The RO in the jugs at Walmart probably isn't as good as the distilled.

3. Try not to feed too much. Feed the perc a little from your fingers so none of the food goes to waste. And remember the more he eats the more he craps.

4. That bagged live sand is ok but you should find someone to give you a little baggie of their LS with some critters in it.

Sounds like a good setup! I honestly think it just needs some time to balance out.

Brooklyn Johnny

I agree with freakaccident strongly on points 1, 3 and 4... it's new and 100% normal. Give it time and keep up on water changes. Get some good live sand from a local buddy with all the critters. I believe the "live sand" with just nitrifying bacteria is a waste of money, and only the type with critters is worth it. In time your dry sand will get colonized by bacteria.

I too use Walmart RO drinking water. I've tested the distilled in my area on two seperate occasions and found trace amounts of ammonia. I found out the reason why it contains ammonia a while back but now forget. I would test a bottle of both in your area.

Just relax... you seem to be on the right track. Don't load the tank too much and tip it out of balance though. Patience...

Archived