Innovative Marine Aquariums

To Skim, or not to Skim?

Jackson

Hey everyone

Ok so i'm getting a 10 gallon tank off my boss tommorow. Complete with thermostat, filter, pump and air pump.

Because im only 16 i cant afford a great deal of equipment and i hate having stuff inside my tank, such as a hang on skimmer. So i've got a few options that i want you, Yes You! :) to vote for.

Which of the following should i do? because i cant afford much i can either go for an extrernal skimmer or PC lighting on the 10 gallon.

go skimmerless only if you have enough LR/LS to handle the filtration requirements of the tank.

You could always get a skilter or DIY yourself a skimmer for cheap..

although, as with everything in this hobby, it usually turns out that some piece of equipment you saved a few bucks on will end up destroying hundreds of dollars worth of fish/corals/LR etc..

why not use the 10gal as a sump for your 22gal tank and spend the money upgrading to PC's on the 22 ?

yellowtang

i know you dont want somthing that will take up allot of space but...Lee's skimmers are cheap and work great.................personally i woudl do skeletors idea(10gal as a sump for your 22gal tank )

Eric

Theres no point in using the 10G as a sump. I've already got a fitration system hooked up that filters all of the water in the tank once every 6 minutes.

I think i'll upgrade lighting on the 22G and move my Freshwater Betta Splendens into the Roomy 10 Gallon.

What sort of lighting do you think? Tank is 22" x 16" x 18"?

freakaccident

I would save for a cheapo DIY 250w $150 metal halide setup and go skimmerless. The sump idea is gonna cost you $$ you don't need to spend. Sumps are more for the cool factor on a nano than useful. They make it easier on waterchange day. I have a 10g sump on my 10g tank and it is more trouble than it is worth. I am seriously considering going back to a standard skimmerless setup.

yellowtang

I just made a pretty nice wooden canopy for my 29gal. with 2x55watt pc's...i ordered it from www.ahsupply.com....since youre tank is 22in. long you could just use 2 36watt pc's or make the hood alittle longer than the tank to hold the lights

at the moment i have a range of polyps and mushrooms with a large leather....i'm not sure what other typres i want, i just want my existing corals to spead more.

you'd be good with a 2x36w setup with a daylight/actinic or some 50/50 bulbs, that should keep everything you have nice and happy and it shouldn't generate that much heat...

Archived