Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what else can i do to keep new sps happy?

BrassMonkey030

BrassMonkey030

i just cant get good polyp extention from my new sps. around 4 days old. the polyps on the millies are out, but not the little hairs.

opened good the first day, after that only a little. they are keeping there color tho.

oceanic 33g with 10g sump.

cal 425

alk 3.5

trates 0

phates - unknown , but dont have mutch algae growth.

temp 82

light aqua medic 150w with the 13k ab

flow. 2 korilia 1s, q13000 on scwd closed loop.

filtration, css 65. chaeto.

change out 5 gals a week, but 10-15gals this and next few weeks cause im feeding heavy, my fish are successfully recovering from ick.

problem corals,

cats paws,

millies

acros

so far the gsp is only opening at night, but at least there opening.

the enchinos look ok so far. montis are fair. stag seems to open its small polyps.

what else can i do? i will try to get pictures.

er1c_the_reefer

the koralia 1's tend to be weak, consider more flow.

what scale are you counting your alk with? dKH or meq/L? i keep my alk around 9-10 dKH...

get them out of the light. you have to light acclimate them. maybe bring the temp down to 78-80 so the water can hold more oxygen. what's the pH?

get them out of the light. you have to light acclimate them. maybe bring the temp down to 78-80 so the water can hold more oxygen. what's the pH?

Could alot of light exposure cause sps to bleach right away? I have 150w MH over a 24nano cube and put a frag 3inches from the top. cal is 450 alk is 8

Could alot of light exposure cause sps to bleach right away? I have 150w MH over a 24nano cube and put a frag 3inches from the top. cal is 450 alk is 8

if they came from an aquarium or were in a spot with less intense lighting it will bleach and may even kill some acros. if your alk is 8 DKH its too low, bring it up to around 11

if they came from an aquarium or were in a spot with less intense lighting it will bleach and may even kill some acros. if your alk is 8 DKH its too low, bring it up to around 11

Hmm ok i will try and bring it up to 11. The tank was lit which looked like T5's about 10 inces from the surface of the water and the frags were close to the top. Could I have exposed it to intense lighting too fast which cause them to bleach within 1 day of putting them in?

Bleaching from too much light is certainly possible. I've got a 70W over a 10 and I've bleached several. My orange monti took months to recover. Milli's and acro's didn't seem as sensitive. As for the milli's not coming out. When I've put new frags in it's taken days with some, others come out in a few hours. Just have patience. As long as they aren't losing tissue they should be okay.

Bleaching from too much light is certainly possible. I've got a 70W over a 10 and I've bleached several. My orange monti took months to recover. Milli's and acro's didn't seem as sensitive. As for the milli's not coming out. When I've put new frags in it's taken days with some, others come out in a few hours. Just have patience. As long as they aren't losing tissue they should be okay.

Hi yardboy,

I next time I will start the frags at the bottom for a few days then move them to the top. I was just surprised on how fast they bleached. I hope they will recover.

One thing to consider is acros, or any SPS for that matter will only extend polyps out at night. This is to catch floating food and to protect themselves from predators (angelfish). Believe it or not if you add some oyster eggs during the day every other day or every three days for a couple weeks the SPS will learn to extend their polyps during the day. If you do have predators in the tank that like to eat SPS polyps or pearch on them dont count on seeing polyps out during the day.

I run my alk at 8.6 (around real ocean water) and have never had a problem....A lot of people run it 9 to 11 and I could never figure out why....

I might've missed it, but whats your tank stocked with? An angelfish maybe?

Edit: I should add that I'm pretty accomplished at bleaching corals and I've never seen it have an effect on polyp extension.

Archived