inTank Media Baskets

20 gallon eye candy!

jflysmooth

jflysmooth

Well guys and gals, I finally got some decent pictures out of my camera. I ended up having to put some electrical atpe across part of my flash to get things working, but now I can do it!

zoobridgesmall.jpg

wetworx101

BTW, you said you had to tape your flash to get the pictures right? Not that I find any problems with that or your pictures, they are GREAAAT, but many cameras have a way to adjust this with a setting called ISO. The higher the ISO, the lower the flash, and the cool part is that then the camera will compensate accordingly for the varied flash (things compensated would be exposure and white balance). Maybe your camera doesnt have this feature, but I just wanted to say it to save everybody else from having to tape their flash!!

deacon hemp

thanks wetworks for the flash tip,i didn't know what the iso flash setting was for now i have to go do some test pics!

jflysmooth

Yeah, I looked in my menu for the option you were talking about and I can't get anything like that. I have a Kodak DC290 2.1 megapixel with a 3x optical zoom. It takes pretty good pictures, but when it comes to my reef it seems I have to outsmart it. In the first picture I think you can see the flash and how I have most of it taped except for the top portion. I played around with how much flash to cover in order to get the right pictures. It seems as though I can't get it to focus correctly unless the flash is on (even if I put it on a table so it doesnt wobble at all). The manual focus is in the menu and only lets me pick a distance (1.5 feet at the closest) and its rather frustrating. I spend a few seconds before each picture trying to zoom and focus on the right spot before taking the picture otherwise it doesn't even come close. With some more practice and tweaking things should be working even better, but oh how I wish I could manually focus like I can with a 35 mm. :)

It's rather frustrating as its VERy point and click for everything else, just not my reef! Needless to say, if I had had a reef when I bought this camera, I would have gotten a different one, but its still a good camera even though it's getting pretty dated. :)

jflysmooth

I took some rocks, dabbed some super glue, and then set the arch down leaning into the main chunk of rock. :)

wetworx101

awesome colors man. The model camera you have prolly doesnt have that control, often the more advanced ones do. None the less, I gotta say, you are doing a fine job 'fooling' the camera cuz your shots look really cool. I have a question: In the last pic you have posted right before this, about three inches to the left from the center, looks like a green turd with little white nodes all over it, like a marine pinecone or something, what is that??? I have one like that but it is brown with whiote nodes on it. It doesnt grow, move, anything, but it sure looks like it is a creature. I never knew what it was. Just wondering.

jflysmooth

Its an acro frag.. uhm.. not sure what species. "green slimer" whatever that means. :) And thanks! Taking actinic shots is even harder to do becuase I have to do it with no flash and hold the camera very very steady... which can be hard to do while pushing the button. :)

• 2 weeks later...
jflysmooth

Okay.. I got a new clam and a bunch of new rock, so here's some new pictures

The full tank.

fulltanksm.jpg

The new clam

clamsm.jpg

Archived