SaltCritters.com

Urchin vs Acros

Blacktone

I've got some Acros and also in the tank is a sea urchin, every now and then he will climb on the acros. and I just noticed some of my acros have parts missing now. I'm not sure if he's to blame or not. I know they eat algae and corline that grows on rocks and such. I'm very low on both of those, what do you guys think? My water parameters seem right on, except I haven't done a water change in a month.

Do you know what species of urchin it is? Or do you have a picture? My friend has had an urchin in his 100 SPS tank for about 3 years with now problems at all.

MANY species of urchins are omnivores. Longspines are, and will bore all kinds of corals (and in fact, nearly wiped out a few species of corals), pencil urchins are (and in fact, mostly carnivorous), and even the "new colorful tuxedos" (found in "the Euro Bible" named "preacher's cap urchin") with the five sections of black tipped with orange and white have been noted to eat SPS (did it to my coworker), and of course the common Caribbean pincushions. Tuxedos are the only relatively safe species. And they may not be entirely.

reefman225gal

well, if it dont have the "eye looking thing" which is the anus. Yours just dont have the colored ring, but looking at the pic it looks like It may be a Diadema spp. possibly a D.setosum if so he would be great he is not as clumsy as some urchins are by knocking over things. Now for the feeding If your low on algae and such you can target feed it. Other then that i would really keep an eye on it. HTH

yeah.... banished him to the sump... I'll target feed him in there till I can confirm it's not him doing the damage.

It's him. OMG don't trust urchins.

Archived