inTank Media Baskets

nano bottom fish,, Jawfish?

liquidfunk

liquidfunk

Im starting a 18 gal via aqua PC tank, and plan do add a pair of perc clowns, but would also like to have a bottom fish, hopefully something more interesting than a scooter blenny... what are peoples favorites maybe a borrower, or something with an interesting personality? any recommendations??

Not a jawfish IMO. They are way too jumpy for a nano and are very likely to become a carpet dweller. You'd be better off with a blenny of some sort. They also prefer much larger tanks with deep hiding spots. They feel more confortable like that....small tanks don't make them feel secure.

Cameron

technoshaman

Actually I think a pearly jaw would be fine in your tank except for the open top thing. I have a pair of bluespots in my 18 gallon cube with a yellow chromis and they have worked things out pretty well. Yellowheads are significantly lower key than bluespotted IME so you could do one maybe a mated pair in an 18. The problem is they are VERY jumpy until they get settled in and build their burrow - also large fish like triggers or even a pygmy angel will probably frighten them enough to jump.

They are worth setting up a species tank for - I am designing a larger tank for mine with plans to have a small colony mimicing their natural habitat in the Sea of Cortez.

well jawfish and good DSB don't mix, my pair of pearly jawfish make a royal mess of my DSB, they spit up mouthfuls of sand where ever they feel like. they have killed a couple mushroom corals that way.

My yellow watchman is extremely shy and rarely comes out of his burrow under the live rock. Not sure if all watchman's are like this or if I just got a retarded one. :)

Archived