ReefCleaners.org

adjusting skimmer

Harrry

Will anyone help me out with adjusting my skimmer? I have an air driven skimmer that came with my 12 gal all in one tank. It makes about a quarter of an inch of goldish/tan liquid per week. Is this good? Should I raise or lower the skimmer? I also can adjust the air flow too if I max it out it overflows the cup and goes all over the floor. Im unsure if I can make adjustments with airflow instead of height adjustments. :(

You can do either of 2 things. Sounds like it's ok now but could be a bit better. Either raising the skimmer a little or, better yet, increasing the air will do it too. I prefer the air tweaking as you need some form of constant to work with and skimmer height is best IMO. Other thing is that air will adjust almost indefinately but skimmer height isn't.

Cameron

Thanks! I will go turn it up a bit now. I hope it does not make the cup fill faster. I would like to keep the cup as low as possible since its quite crowded under my hood as at is. What should I look for as an ideal color and texture in the collection cup?

Archived