Cultivated Reef

Best Test Kits??

canisson

As I am relatively (ok, completely) new to nanos and SW tanks, I need opinions on which test kit or kits to buy. I know I need pH, trates and trites, and ammonia tests, but what else do I really need? I used RO/DI bottled water to start, adding LR and thinking of some LS as well. Any brand or manufacturer names I should know about?

Help for the newbies is greatly appreciated. I should know.???

Salifert brand test kits are the way to go.

Youll need Calcium and alk/dkh tests aswell. I think the only ones youll need thoe most are the Calkc, Ph, and alk-dkh, thats not to say the others arent important but ones your tank gets up and running you might not need em as much.

I use Salifert for the calcium/alk/mag/trates levels and use Tetra kits for the basics like ph/amm/trites

I use the tetra kits, they seem to be just as reliable and accurate, for the basics as they are significantly cheaper than the saliferts.

Cameron

Thanx for the info Cameron. I am looking for the Tetra Basics kit in my area, but no one seems to have any right now....and I haven't seen a Salifert kit anywhere. Do all the lfs in my area just suck or what?!?!

Rob

Not all places sell salifert. Salifert will likely be sold as reef intensive stores. You may have to go mail order for them, which would save you a few bucks. Tetra kits are fairly popular so lots of stores carry them. You should be able to find them locally.

Cameron

freakaccident

Saliferts are great but make sure you understand the instructions. They aren't moron proof. They are a PITA until you memorize the procedure for each test. If you buy them at a LFS make sure the little nipple is in the box before you buy it.

Archived