Coral Vue Hydros

lighting upgrade taking a toll on my corals??

Bettonskyblue

Bettonskyblue

I recently upgraded my lighting from a 50/50 coralife bulb on my twenty gallon because i want to start adding more corals to my collection.(yeah i know that wasnt enough light to start with but my income only goes so far) anyway i only had some mushroom corals that were perfectly happy and a finger leather coral that was doing ok, but i didnt see the polyps very often and i hadnt seen any growth in the months since i bought it. So, i bought a glass top, another light strip and a 10,000K high intensity daylight bulb. My finger coral seems quite upset about the change, but my mushrooms are doing just fine, my lfs told me that the addition of the new bulb would make my tank "come alive" I do know that this is still insuffecient light but i only intend to keep low to medium light corals for some time. Is my finger coral going through a withdraw phase? will it snap out of it? also i have a brown algae starting to grow in my tank now does that mean i need to decrease the time the lights are on?

Thanks in Advance!!

lindsey

What was the wattage of the old bulb compared to the wattage of the new bulb? Same? So you're now running a 50/50 and 10k?

It could just be shock... going from your old light to new can be pretty drastic and it's just adjusting.. you might decide to either run the 10k less then a full day to start (a few hours a day slowly increasing it to all day) or raising the new light up so the tank isn't receiving the full burst of light (and slowly lowering it)

Archived