Coral Vue Hydros

Moving to a larger tank???

moose12

First off just want to say that this forum has been fantastic for information. I use the search button a lot, but didn't find anything specific to address my question. I want to move a larger tank either 15 or 20 gallon AGA.

My Current Tank:

Set Up

12-gallon Eclipse

1 X 32Watt CSL Supernova (second one is on order)

Whisper mini HOB filter

50W Ebo Jager Heater

1 Rio 50 and 1 Rio 90 (water movement)

LR and LS

17 lbs Premium Fiji Live Rock

2-3" Sand Bed (mostly dead) CaribSea Aragonite

Livestock

One pair of False Perculas

2 Peppermint Shrimp

2 Blue Leg Hermits

4 Astreas

2 Ceriths

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tank has been running smoothly for almost 6 weeks

Cycle came and went quickly.

Current Water specs

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - undetectable

pH - 8.1-8.3

SG - 1.023

Temp - 79-80F

I like the Eclipse for the most part, but I'd like more options when it comes to adding components (ie refugium, etc...) Acrylic sucks to clean and the Eclipse Hood.....yeah I'm little fed up with that too.

My question is this, I know that more water is generally more better, but can I support a 20 gallon with current setup or not? I am confident that a 15 would be alright, but the 20 is calling my name. Thankfully I also have a 3-gallon super nano that I can use to hold my livestock while I perform what I hope will a 4-6 hour operation of moving. Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to make sure I covered everything. Thanks for the help!

the livestock's fine since you're upgrading but i think you might be a little thin on the lighting, rock amount, and water movement. (jmo tho) i'm assuming you're talking about a 20H and that's even with the 2nd PC you ordered.

if you're talking about a 20L i definitely think the lighting is insufficient due to the greater area, not discussing light penetration (yet). also a the water movement wouldn't be enough for 20L.

tinyreef - thanks for advice, i wasn't sure about the lighting, this helps. do you think its enough lighting for a 15-gallon? also i plan on keeping mainly zoos, a couple of finger leathers, and some GSP. i am staying away from LPS and SPS definitely until i can afford a lot more lighting. With that selection of corals, would the lighting still be too weak in a 20H? I haven't measured for it yet, but i would probably add a couple of bookworms. I have two bookworms on my 3-gallon with some leathers and they seem to be doing quite well. thanks again.

depending on how they're placed on the rock and the rocks' formation/height, the zoos and gsp should be ok.

the finger leathers will depend upon exactly what type of 'leather' you're getting. try to find out the specific species (ID it) and you're be better able to meet its needs. some finger leathers need moderate light but others need intense light. some need low flow while others need moderate flow. some do well in heavily fed tanks and others prefer it immaculate.

mo light, mo better imo. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i am going to be moving from a 5.5 to a 10. If i move all my sand, rock and water will it have to cycle again or should it be fine. i have some nice corals and dont want to hurt them?

Archived