Pod Your Reef

Oceanics new 30 gallon cube

jt48

Thinking of getting this tank, at $250 very expensive but its on sale at Petsmart. It is an Oceanic 30 gallon cube measuring 20x18x21. I kind of have the fish bug and feel the need to have more than just one royal gramma (in my 7 bow). Its either this or the 54 corner which would run me $520 plus another $130 for the cap. Both tanks would allow me to use my ETSS 600. Overkill on both especially the 30 but I regretably sold my prism.

Please tell me what you think?

Advantages, disadvantages of this tank size/shape?

I know its a lot more expensive than a regular tank but its going into a living room with spousal approval.

You talked about the 'fish bug' so I'm wondering if this is going to be a fish only setup or do you plan on corals also? I personally love the cubes but there is some more challenges in terms of aquascaping/rock placement when you are building up rather than building out.

Do they make that stand in other colors by the way? Oak or something similar? Just curious as someday I will graduate from my 12 gallon and 30 sounds about right.

EDIT: I look at the picture again and see the stand in a different color (or at least wood trim). My bad!

It would be a reef. The 30 cube is all black> The tank next to it is a 37 tan and black. The 37 was alot more expensive b/c it was not on sale. The 30 would be a reef and considered building a volcano style rockwork. This would indeed be very difficult to do w/o the correct pieces of rock. Would possible have to break rocks.

i think cubes look really cool if they are set up well. what would you do for lighting? I think you would have to use MH, because 65 or 55w PC's wont fit, the tank is deep so you have some water to penetrate, and 4x32w pc's would probably cost just as much as a MH.

I have a 55 hex which is quite a challenge. From my experience, these tall tanks have a lot less coral real estate than a long tank. But I don't think that's neccessarily a bad thing, unique shaped tanks are more interesting. The one thing I like about having a 55 hex is that it is really deep (26 inches I think), which creates really interesting aquascaping possibilies. A cube would have similar possibilities since the tank is also deep.

Another thing I should mention is that I can't fit a decent sized sump in my cabinet, because of the shape of the cabinent and the size of the door. Unlike my big hex, the cabinet you are thinking of buying has a wider door, but if you decide to put in a sump it is going to have to be an odd shape, will be hard to find, and its going to not leave room in the cabinet for anything else. Plus if you get one your sump is going to have to be quite tall rather than long.

When I first started my hex I didnt want a sump anyway, but now, a year later, I wish I could put one in as an upgrade.

Things to think about. Let us know what you decide!

scruz

The depth of the tank is easily solved by a DSB, I have a Via Aqua which is somewhat deep and I use a 3-4 DSB and it works out well, I do recommend a good amount of light, but its nice to have high intensity areas for the light hungry corals and then some lower dense areas for shrooms and such.

I do agree with the sump issue, but in my case I would build a refuge, so mine would most likely end up being custom. Even though its not wide, it is deep which will allow you to run your pump behind the tank which will be fine...

I would definately go with either a 150w hqi w/actinic no or a 175 w mh w/2x32w pc actinic. DSB of 4-6 inches, no refugium. My 15 tall tank and ETSS 600 would fit in cabinet-Like you said the door is very wide and there are no obstructions, very nice square surface.

Thanks for the input.

Is that a question of shock regarding its power?

Yes I have one lying around (from my 120), the turnover rate would be tremendous and would definately provide for clean water. The water may be too clean for some corals.

Originally posted by jt48

I would definately go with either a 150w hqi w/actinic no or a 175 w mh w/2x32w pc actinic.  DSB of 4-6 inches, no refugium.  My 15 tall tank and ETSS 600 would fit in cabinet-Like you said the door is very wide and there are no obstructions, very nice square surface.

Thanks for the input.

well then.... what are you waiting for?! hehe i can be a terrible impulse buyer.

gopher it dude!...i run a 175 over my 10 hex-more bulb versatility, lil cheaper... but are you sure the 15 tall will fit it that stand-should be 20x10-methinks it'll be a lil tight, if its even possible. either way though even a rubbermaid garbage can could work fine as a sump. GL

tg

I think I may be joining you, the GF gave the OK...I was going for a 50 gallon..but I saw this tank @ the store and thought it can be a good compromise...I am curious myself of the inner dimensions as i wil be building a custom refuge/sump/prop tank underneath

Just an idea for ya'.

I put my 20 gallon tank "caddy corner". That allowed me to put a 20gallon sized sump parallel with one of the walls. Also allowed me to actually have a little storage space as well.

I personally like the 37 gallon.

When you say you went with the 37 show, do you mean the same tank as to the left in the picture?

You got me wondering about the stand-i only measured the interior height to make sure the 27" tall protein skimmer would fit but I should really get exact interior measurements of lengthxwidth, go home and lay the skimmer and sump on floor to see how it will fit.

I wont need a cap for teh 30 oceanic-it is attractive enough to not use one.

JT48 if u get the inside dimensions please post.....are u planning on using the light that comes with it? What comes with it?

OscarBeast

Yes, that could be one. I have seen 37-gallon Show tanks at PetSmart recently, but only in blonde oak color like the tank on the side of that picture.

I however custom ordered mine with cherry oak trim. I ordered the cheap unfinished pine stand so I can stain and finish it myself. I paid $110 for the tank only (no glass cover or lights because it is much cheaper and I didn't need them) and the stand for $104 from a local fish store here.

The reason I went with the 37 is because it is 24½ x 18½ x 21 ½ and pretty much perfect for lighting with a single MH fixture or any other 24" lighting solution, which are pretty common. Quite simply, the tank is much like a 75-gallon tank cut in half.

37tankandstand1.jpg

wetworx101

I think the cubes rock (I have a 60 cube) They are the easiest to light with metal halide pendants. I use a 400w 10,000K over mine and it is all I need for maximas, stonys, etc. I have considered the 30cube as it makes an ideal mate for a 175w MH pendant, and I wanted a nano cube. The aquascaping isnt that hard, I just stack the rocks against two walls.

I like the way they look because they are more inviting due to their percieved depth.

Dont worry about overpowering the skimmer. When I do use a skimmer, I dont use it all the time, so I get one that is oversized, and then I only use it for a few hours every day. That way I'm not 'overstripping' the tank and I kep the noise down. So go ahead with the big one, just put it on a timer to run when nobody is around to hear it.

Well I was thinking 30 cube, but this 37 has caught my interest, I was goibng to go 250 Mh w/ 64watt PC...but if I go with the 37, I can go with 250MH and VHO which will stay much cooler...hmm...I also love the depth of these tanks...I also have to decide on either a corner or center overflow box...and wil def wbe putting a SCWD on the tank.

The stand and tank combo imo is very attractive, any canopy would not match and would detract from its appearance. I would therefore need a professional looking ABS Hood-either the CSL 1x175w mh with 2x32w pc actinic or the cheaper 150w HQI with NO actinic florescent. I would also use the fixture that came with it -probably just a NO bulb but would replace the bulb with something for nightime viewing-like those real dark blue bulbs, would have to investigate.

OscarBeast

Why? It is just stained oak with a glass front. Someone could make you a very nice matching canopy. Not hard at all and it would look good. Heck someone could probably even cut some tinted glass and you could make perfectly matching doors on the canopy. Or since you really wouldn't want light to shine through, you could get some glass and paint the back side black then put a coat of white on top of it. That way when you look through it you see black, but the side facing the lights would be white.

Anyway, there are all kinds of things you could do. If you want a canopy, you can get it to match the design. I wouldn't worry about that if it is your only hangup and you really want a canopy.

Archived