Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Feather Dusters

HogWinslow

HogWinslow

I was staring at my tank tonight and finaly saw some action. The tank has been up for about four weeks now and I never saw anything. Now tonight I see 4 small feather dusters on a rock. The are a 1 inch long from the end of the tube to the feathers. The feathers stick out about 1/4 inch. Now for the question.

Are these the same as feather dusters that grow about 6 inches long that people buy for their tanks? If not how big will they get?

I moved the rock so I could easily see them and I noticed I put them in a high water flow area. Should I move them or let them sway in the current?

Do I need to do anything special for them?

I also saw a little clear bug looking thing about 1/8 inch long. He moved fast so I didn't get a good look at him. Any guesses what he might be?

I'm also getting some red plant looking stuff. What is it snd is it any good? It's not slime algae. It looks like a broard leaf plant.

Thanks,

Hog

These are sometimes referred to as fan worms. they don't get nearly as big as those large feather dusters for sale. I have had one in my rocks for 8 months now, haven't done anything special. it just survives on its own.

Those clear bugs are common too. They are small crustaceans, commonly referred to as 'pods (copepods, amphipods, isopods, etc.). Most are good; rarely a few may be parasitic on fish.

The red stuff, does it have bubbles on it? I have had some red caulerpa before my turbo snail munched it down.

HogWinslow

No bubbles on the red plant looking stuff. Looks like a red broad leaf plant. I like the way it looks I'm just afraid it's not good and it's going to take over the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived