SaltCritters.com

My 75gl Plan!

toastii

so here is my checklist!

55-80gl tank includes stand and/or canopy may include lights - 200-700$ (at LFS)

heater (will i need a heater with strong lights?) 20$

LS 50-100$

LR 300$ max

Skimmer (red sea) 250$

HO T-5 lights 280$

(approx 1,700)

Live stock

2 small clowns

1 tiny hippo tang- from fosters

4 gobies- orange stripe prawn goby/fire fish/ black barred convict goby/gold line goby

1 pistol shrimp

2 cleaner shrimp

snails- mexican turbo/ trochus/ cerith

approx 250$ according to fosters. mayb more

so approx total around 2000$$

i showed that too my mom and she nearly had a heart attack

im debating the hippo tang

i might get more gobies

any other nice easy fish that i could keep?!

btw- i have a 200gl bucket of salt

refractometer

add food on the list

and more testing supplies

im also trying to see if i can get a deal from my LFS for the tank lights skimmer stand heater for 1,000

Oh and i have a 10gpd RO unit

i bought it for my horses

Ok lets start the response here

On the heater yes you are going to need one, you want to make sure your temperature doesn't fluctuate too much. Good heater 150w Stealth $55

On the Firefish if you are planning on getting one, atleast get 2 they are more active. They feel more secure and they look kind of cool when they swim together.

Skimmer the red sea max is junk, from experience. Save an extra $100 bucks and get a Remora or a Euro reef skimmer.

The tiny hippo tang for some reason the smaller they are the harder they are to keep. The tiny ones need to be fed a lot, they have a fast metabolism. If you want to get one get a medium sized one. You can also get a Yellow Tang very hardy fish, my cousin has had his for 4 years now.

You can also try getting a fairy wrasse.

hmm i have heard good things from the berlin... also someone said i the small tangs areent harder to keep

hmm i wasthinking of a yellow tang or a poeder brown tang as well

im perfectly accoustomed to fast metabolized organisms i have dwarf seahorses..

i was gonna get a heater online the same one in my dwarf tank that i like... hmm

any other fishes.. i decided against wrasses.. a lot of them are very expensive and i heard they were nasty i could be wrong

what about rabbit fish?

i also wanted a lion but not for a reef tank

The skimmers are ok but they don't pull out enough junk not enough skimmate. You want a skimmer that pulls out nice dark stinky skimmate. Not cloudy water.

If you are going to get 2 tangs introduce them at the same time. The Powder Brown Tang is nice and very active. They also look awesome under the atinics.

Most fairy wrase are going to cost you around the same price as your hippo tang. My fairy wrasse swims with my firefish, so I don't see any nasty behaviors.

Ebo Jager Heater = 20 bucks on ebay (I got the 150 watt version for my 60)

Tank = keep an eye at Petsmart, they are selling at a pretty good price the Oceanic tanks because they are being discontinued (less than 90 gallons) I got mine for 360 dollars with stand.

Sand = 30 bucks for each 30 lb bag, so get 2 bags and then get some "live" sand from a fellow reefer or lfs to seed your sand.

Keep an eye out on things in the classifields from Reefcentral and you should be able to get things for hella cheaper, not to mention look on ebay for stuff

nice ok

the hippo tang is 28$ at my LFS also on Fosters but that has shipping charges..

so wats a good skimmer?

i was thinking

powder brown tang and yellow tang

all my gobies

2 or 3 fire fish? (so i should get more than one right?)

and now possibly a wrasse?

and thats good

now are lions reef safe?

they had a few in a large tank with tons of oter fish in it that were bothering them and they didnt seem to mind at all

i know they are venemos but confused on behavioural aspects

oh and about all the searching for deals! exactly what im doing

but with out cutting corners on quality

this tank is too big to have to upgrade later on

oh I here you. Right now i'm waiting on my reef keeper 2 and finding deals on ebay. I'll post pics of the new tank that I got because I was going to get my original tank drilled but then tmy lfs offered to take it off my hands plus 50 bucks to get the reef ready version which I jumped at. I'm going with an Aqua C skimmer or Schuran skimmer, i found a sweet deal on ebay so I'll see how it pans out otherwise I'm jumping on the schuran skimmer

so any skimmers that ppl reccomend that are preferably not in the higher price range...

however im fine with whatever price there is..*twinge*

oh ok.. so thats a no

what if i got a baby one..and it grew up with other fish.. would it still eat them? aha

no lion fish..

umm

i really wanted to go to the store today but my dad it tired of it

so im working out a couple deals with ppl on 75gls

a couple stores have given me offers (i joined my local reef club)

and im thinking about an atlantic blue tang!

so im not thinking of an atlantic cause aparently they get rather large

hmm so here is my stocking plan

1 coral beauty angel

1 (2?) firefish

2 clownfish

1 black barred goby

1 gold line goby

1 orange stripe shrimp goby (randals goby)

1 pearly jawfish

1 wrasse of some sort

1 yellow/purple tang (somewhere in t he far future if any)

some shrimp to pair with my goby

1/2 cleaner shrimp (do these only eat parasites or othre things as well.. i will get one if i get a tang)

snails

sexy shrimp smile.gif

pom pom crab ? - i'll research those a bit

peps

corals

• 3 weeks later...

tell me how it goes with the 2 firefish, I was thinking of doing the same. I just filled uip the tank on Friday night and the plumbing got done this weekend.

haha i got a 40gl instead- i have a threed in the beginers sections--

i got a sump tank stand plumbing- now i just need water- and other equipment sand rock and FISH

• 3 weeks later...

dont use the red sea skimmer it is $hit you dont want to buy that junk in the get go then you wasted the money and cant ever undo it now while your tank suffers you have to save up and buy the euro reef .

Archived