inTank Media Baskets

deflated anemone day after feeding?

teajay33

i fed my sebae anemone a silverside fish and it was nice and healthy today and yesterday. but tonight it throws up some remains, then it deflates to almost nothing. sould i be concerned? or is this normal?

normal. Anemones have a mind of their own... Oh wait, they have no minds... Never mind.

They will sometimes deflate to "relax" and enjoy "after dinner"

dsoz :)

Stormyspirit

I have a green bubble tip anemone, which totally freaked me out when it did that two days after I got it. I thought I had killed it by not acclimating it. A few hours later though and it was back to normal. It had shrunken down so much and there was stuff coming out of it, I was panicing. I have since learned that this is how they expell after they have eaten. At night, or when the lights are off, my anemone also seems to shrink down. After 6 weeks, it is getting bigger and brighter all the time.

cool, just making sure. i figured it was ok, but i wanted to be sure. mine has been doing very well since i got it 3 weeks ago. i'm not one to buy anemones since they are being depleted from the wild, but this one had come from a 12g nano where it had lived the past year. so i figured it would be a perfect fit for my 10g clownfish nano. originally i was gonna just use torch coral and other type corals as a host, but this works much better. the clowns took to it beautifully and even share it with an anemone crab. thanks for the help you guys!

TJ

Archived