Pod Your Reef

HELP! is this white spot?

ChinaChan

I have 2 clowns in my 15.8G tank.

9am before the lights come on - 1 clown had biggish white lumpy spots on its head, lips, eye, fin, body.

2pm - lights are on and lumpy spots smooth out, but you can still see white dots.

same again this morning...does anyone know if this is white spot or a fungal disease?

is white spot raised dots or smooth and crisp in colour?

the fish doesnt seem to be swimming any differently or scratching off rocks!! hes also eating food still....

QT the fish and treat for ick would be my first thought.

How long have you had the fish? Have there been any new additions to the tank? Is there anything that is stressing out the fish?

I hope this helps.

dsoz

bigredreefer

Firstly.. How big is BIG?

It sounds like you have Ich, bacterial infection.

Are the dots the size of a grain of salt? pin-head? Quarter?

Did you just add the fish to the tank?

Did you add a new fish to the tank?

Did you disterb them for an extended period of time? (such as re-aquascaping?)

Was there a big swing in temp/salinity/nitrates/ammonia or any of the others you should be testing for?

These are just some of the possible causes

In my experience Ich really isn't too bad to deal with, just make sure you keep everything STABLE. Also ensure they eat daily!! It will take anywhere from a week to two weeks before you'll be 100% clear. (that is if they eat and you can keep things stable)

Obviously don't add anything to the tank until its completly taken care of.

Are you running a reef tank or Fish only? If fish only and you have no invertabrates you can buy medicine to treat the fish. (there is copper in the medicine which is deadly to inverts.

My .02,

RED

Thanks for some info..

Fish has been in for 6 weeks now and the water tests had been fine..

White dots - some pin head size and some salt grain size......they appear at night -morning and disappear during the day!! does white spot do that?

The only thing vie added recently was a tiny long spine sea urchin but i don’t think that could have cause it.

I really reckon it could have been a spike in my PH that cause the stress!!! for some reason my PH shot up to 8.8+...My red scooter didn’t make the PH spike and i thought it was because he wasn’t eating enough.

My main guess for this PH jump was something to do with the airstone skimmer i have!! there was something gooey in the collection cup which could have caused the PH jump. so i took out the whole thing since Air = raise in PH.

PH is stable now and I’m waiting on a new powerskimmer now.

I have soft corals, hammer and torch in that tank which i thought could have been the gooey stuff in the collection cup but my corals don’t seem to be stressed in anyway an getting on pretty well.

I also don’t have a Quarantine tank for the affected clown....i really hope this isn’t ich and that the fish can fight it off himself!!! Yesterday there was barely any spots on him and this morning he was covered again with spots!!!

:(

bigredreefer
Thanks for some info..

Fish has been in for 6 weeks now and the water tests had been fine..

White dots - some pin head size and some salt grain size......they appear at night -morning and disappear during the day!! does white spot do that?

The only thing vie added recently was a tiny long spine sea urchin but i don’t think that could have cause it.

I really reckon it could have been a spike in my PH that cause the stress!!! for some reason my PH shot up to 8.8+...My red scooter didn’t make the PH spike and i thought it was because he wasn’t eating enough.

My main guess for this PH jump was something to do with the airstone skimmer i have!! there was something gooey in the collection cup which could have caused the PH jump. so i took out the whole thing since Air = raise in PH.

PH is stable now and I’m waiting on a new powerskimmer now.

I have soft corals, hammer and torch in that tank which i thought could have been the gooey stuff in the collection cup but my corals don’t seem to be stressed in anyway an getting on pretty well.

I also don’t have a Quarantine tank for the affected clown....i really hope this isn’t ich and that the fish can fight it off himself!!! Yesterday there was barely any spots on him and this morning he was covered again with spots!!!

:(

Sounds like ich.

How long ago did you fish die?

Did you do a water change right after?

And a dramatic swing in pH (or in any water quality) could also be the problem.

RED

Sounds like ich.

How long ago did you fish die?

Did you do a water change right after?

And a dramatic swing in pH (or in any water quality) could also be the problem.

RED

Red scooter died then the day after one of the clowns grew white spots!!

so white spots do show more at night/morning? the clown seems to be covered in them in the morning 8am and by 1pm they're almost away.

i really reckon it was the PH that stressed the fish which caused the whole thing!

did a 15% water change and water conditions are all good......hard and soft corals, shrimps, crabs are all good.

Archived