Cultivated Reef

my new sand sifting starfish

pete159

clifford513

Might want to do some research; not recommended for a small tank. Sorry, I like them too.

Edit: Didn't want to seem rude or holier than thou :)

Alexraptor

theres a good chance it will die, if not it can seriously disrupt a small system by wiping out the sandbed entirely of microfauna.

I too got one after first getting my tank established. Had him for about 3 weeks and very cool..but he started climbing the glass. By that time I'd found some more research on what they really need (big big sandbed) and before he deteriorated I gave him away to a friend with a 210 gallon.

In our small tanks you don't want your sandbed denuded of life, and over time that is what will happen with a sand sifting star. Then the star will start to slowly die - first sign is the tips of the starfish deteriorating. So, when they start climbing the walls look for a new home.

I too wish they could work, they really do move the sand around and are super cool when gliding around the tank.

i have one in my 25g i did not know this. Mine i have had for a little over two months and he looks very healthy, he does climb the walls sometimes but stays in the sand most of the time.

i have one in my 25g i did not know this. Mine i have had for a little over two months and he looks very healthy, he does climb the walls sometimes but stays in the sand most of the time.

Starfish are VERY slow to show signs of starvation - many look fine for 6 months to fall apart in a couple of days. In reality, they'd been starved for many months and slowly deteriorating internally, while their external skin/skeleton still looks healthy.

Archived