Coral Vue Hydros

Step Two--Algae

DongShenYin

DongShenYin

Ok, my tank has been up for a week and a half. Now I see algae starting to coat my glass and sand and rocks. Small green fronds-type. Since my tank is so small, what kind of herbivores are safe for it? I've heard so many negative comments about hermit crabs that I don't want to try them. I also want some sand-sifters. How many nass snails can I have in my tank? How many crabs, if I decide to go that route? My LFS has lettuce nudibranchs for sale. Are they ok or will they put toxins into the tank?

Don't buy any hermits that appear to have red legs mine are killers and were moved in with the hungry starfish (this is a 10 gallon non-reef tank). However i have always had good luck with the blue legged hermits. But my nano is a 18 gallon if you can even call that a nano and i am unsure of how the hermits would behave in a much smaller space.

Beware of the all hermits including the vicious blue hermitts. I would suggest having 1 hermit per 5 gallons. For snails, start out with maybe 2-3 astreas depending on how much algae you have in the tank, dont want to starve the snails. Nass snails 1-2, I find that nass snails like an open sand bed to roam around on. They dont seem to like going in cramped places.

edit-Just if you wanted to know. I have a 10Gallon, 2 astreas, 2 Nass, 2red leg hermit, 4 bumble bee snails. Thats all I need because I dont have an algae problem yet(knocking on wood). And i do my weekly water changes and tank cleaning.

your tank is still cycling and you shouldn't add anything yet. Let the cycle finish before adding a clean up crew as they might not live thru the cycle.

I agree with the Crakeur listen to him. But when you do get your cleanup crew do yourself a favor and get nessarius, and cerith snails. And the only crustacean to get is an emerald crab. Trust me you won't regret it.

Archived