Pod Your Reef

125g Tank overflow question

soco

I'm moving into my first house in a month so that means I get to set up my 125g tank. Hurray!! I've never had a sump before so it is all new to me. So I've started the planning process.

It's a 125 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump. The tank isn't RR so I'm trying to pick my overflow box. Here is what I've been looking at so far.

I read that your sump flow should be 2-5 times the size of your tank

For my over flow I was thinking about the CPR cs100.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...133&isKit=0

And the pump using a Mag-drive 9.5.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...147&isKit=0

Any comments are greatly appreciated

Sam

Socalsuperhero
I'm moving into my first house in a month so that means I get to set up my 125g tank. Hurray!! I've never had a sump before so it is all new to me. So I've started the planning process.

It's a 125 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump. The tank isn't RR so I'm trying to pick my overflow box. Here is what I've been looking at so far.

I read that your sump flow should be 2-5 times the size of your tank

For my over flow I was thinking about the CPR cs100.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...133&isKit=0

And the pump using a Mag-drive 9.5.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...147&isKit=0

Any comments are greatly appreciated

Sam

Am interested to hear what peoples thoughts on an overflow versus drilling are. I'm in the same boat with a couple of tanks (75g and 100Long).

Am interested to hear what peoples thoughts on an overflow versus drilling are. I'm in the same boat with a couple of tanks (75g and 100Long).

IMHO drilled looks better... But overflows work well too.. you can increase the flow on some of them by adding multiple U tubes.

overflows can fail, if drilling is an option then that is the way to go. With a drilled tank you won't have to worry about maintaining a siphon, air-bubbles accumulating in the u-tube, or the constant gurgling/flushing sound of an overflow.

Socalsuperhero
overflows can fail, if drilling is an option then that is the way to go. With a drilled tank you won't have to worry about maintaining a siphon, air-bubbles accumulating in the u-tube, or the constant gurgling/flushing sound of an overflow.

are these problems even with the cpr overflows?

I thought about drilling it but damn that glass is thick. I'm not much for DIY projects either.

I understand the overflow will eventually fail (probably when your on vacation) but if you plan your sump out properly you shouldn’t have any flooding.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if the overflow fails the return pump will continue to pump until it’s section is empty. So as long as you don’t make your pump section to big you shouldn’t over flow the tank.

So in the end you just might have to buy a new return pump.

But the CPR’s look pretty nice. I haven’t heard anything bad about them…. yet

Sam

other then the fact that you can break the tank if you don't know what you're doing there are no disadvantages to drilling the tank. Get a professional or even someone whos done it several times in the past to do it if you're not comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

the bottom of the 125 is tempered, what i would do then is drill the back of the tank, as low as you could, and build an overflow around it, then just plumb in the drain and sump return like a normal driller tank is

i use a mag 9.5 as the return pump on my 125 along with a sedra 9000, i would say just use one pump though and then rely on powerheads like 2 tunze 6000's on a multicontroller for LPS or 2 tunze 6100's on a multicontroller for SPS

Archived