Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

best fish for clean sand

robertmun

Hi all,

what is the best fish to help keep the sand clean?

Goby perhaps?

It is a 20g FOWLR, but I am getting some corals. Current occupants are:

royal gramma

false perc

turbo and astreas

blue hermits

sand sifting star

peppermint shrimp

Thanks.

coralreefengr

I have cerith snails that keep my sand clean. I'm not familiar with fish that are used for this purpose, though.

CRE

i'm feeling in the mood for giving back to the nano-reef community today :)

good sand-sifters

1. Watchman goby ( very good at sifting, bonds with pistol shrimps and is reef-safe)

2.cerith, nassiurus snails (good at stirring sand up)

3. Fighting Conchs (arrghh these are the kings of teh substrate)

4.Sandsifting stafish (name says it all)

reply bck if you want any more detail on any of these fish/inverts

hope this helps Simon

there are a few gobies that will dig around and stir up the sand. I would stay away from cukes in small tanks. Spook em and they spit their guts and release toxins in the water that can crash a small tank.

i heard rainsfords gobys wwrre great for sand bed cleanup and i think theyll do fine in a 20,Chris

freakaccident

Those yellow wrasses are great for stirring sand too. Not good for a nano or a beginner though. I use nassarius snails and a cuke. The cuke is going to the big tank when I can catch him out in the open.

I get all my cukes from the keys and have never seen one blow its load, so to speak.... ive even picked up and screwed with huge ones (12"+) and they still didnt do anything about it. I dont know what kind of cukes are in teh keys, but they are harmless.

Chamkeeper

About the Goby / Pistol thing, I have been told its not a good idea, and that they won't bond unless they are found together in the wild...

Is that BS? I really think this would be a cool nano but didn't do it based on the previously mentioned info. Can it be done?

When I set up the 7g MB office tank I was told no way, obviously, it can, and is being done. I am hoping the Goby/ Pistol can be done too.

I was told that in smaller tanks sand sifting starts consume so much that they can ruin your bio load in the sand. How true is this?

1)They're hearty

2)The swim throughout the tank, and not just hide in a hole

3)Keep your sand stirred and bright white

4)Awesome coloration (the pic does not justice)....mine has 4 blue dots surrounded by black circles on the tail

• 2 weeks later...
angelofdeath132

just received a Gold head sleeper goby for my 55. right now he's hiding under the rock, hope he will come out soon. anyone else have one? can u give me your experiences with it?

I had 2 GH sleepers and both died within 4 months, but my sand was clean while they were around........Dragons live better in captivity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived