Innovative Marine Aquariums

What do you guys light your 48'' tanks with?

murphy_5

Ok guys I'm trying to get some ideas what kinds of lights/light setups you use to light your 48'' tanks. Can be 55G, 75G, 90G or some other 48'' custom setup. Oh and list what it is your lighting :)

bullitt0519

4 HO T5's 48" 54w Mixed reef Sps, Lps, and softies. I am running a low pro hood and can't get the MH in there so went with these and love them my Sps are really liking them to.

4 HO T5's 48" 54w Mixed reef Sps, Lps, and softies. I am running a low pro hood and can't get the MH in there so went with these and love them my Sps are really liking them to.

Really what fixture are you using? Have you heard anything about TEK or Aquactinics TX5?

bullitt0519

Mine is the Tek Retro total cost with bulbs was about 300-350.00 But can be found cheaper on the web I got mine from a LFS.

mecwed080on2.jpg

mecwed079nt2.jpg Sorry for the green on the bottom!

proraptor2

I had 4 T5HO's over my 4 foot prop tank and my SPS hated them....I went to 2 175 watt ushio 10K's and everything is doing very well again...

What about a 15K vs. 14K light will there be much growth diff. for LPS? Bullit what is your bulb spectrum choices?

It really depends on the depth of the tank. If you have a 55" you only have 12" of depth front to back, thus you need a skinny fixture. In that case a 48" sunpod would work... If you have more room, I really like the outer orbit series from current. HQI with T5 or PC actinics.

I have a 45long, which has the same foot-print as a 55, it is just shorter.

I upgraded to a 6 bulb T5HO from TEK (the 46 model). I like it. I have only had it for 3 months, but everything that I have is doing great! A guy near me even has clams under it. A different friend has a 75g, also with the same fixture. That is what convinced me to get it. I may want to upgrade to a 75g later. The only problem I have is that the outer two bulbs don't fit EXACTLY over the tank, so there is a LITTLE bit of light that spills over the edges. But there are two switches (inner 4 lights on one switch, and the outer 2 lights on a separate switch) so I mostly run the inside 4 lights, and only use the outer lights in the evening when I want the tank activity to wind down (dusk conditions).

It also runs cool! I can put my hand on the top of it after it has been on all day with no problems. Try that with MH!

For animals I have a 4 head FS (2 heads 2 months ago, and almost done splitting into 4), GSP, shrooms (need to be put in the shadow of rock so they don't fry), a few montis, a couple of acros, and a pink SPS that I don't remember (scylo... something like that. I need to look it up), I will soon get a rose BTA (from a raffle I won at a LFS, to be picked up later because my tank is so new), I want some more LPS like hammer, torch, or galaxy. And I will probably try a clam in a coulple of months (did I mention that my tank is still only 4 months old).

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

How about those that have a 90 gallon bowront? What selection is out for them?

proraptor2

I can place my hand on top of my metal halide reflectors no problem...T5hos run a tad cooler but not that much....But maybe thats cause mine were overdriven on an icecap....

All I have to say is My sps grew pretty good under them but they all had crappy colors....I threw the halides over them and now I get good growth and color...

Ok well I just ordered my 48'' Sunpod I only got the 150 X 2 MH, but I figured $436(shipped) brand new through petmountain.com was pretty fair. And in the beggining I was looking at some T5's I thought this would be a much better deal. I'll have pics up in my other thread when all my stuff comes in :)

Ok well I just ordered my 48'' Sunpod I only got the 150 X 2 MH, but I figured $436(shipped) brand new through petmountain.com was pretty fair. And in the beggining I was looking at some T5's I thought this would be a much better deal. I'll have pics up in my other thread when all my stuff comes in :)

Nice move. I had a 70w one on my BC14, and then when I trashed that and got a 40G, I got the 36" 2x150w one for that tank. I was gonna get an outer orbit, but my tank isn't wide enough so 1 of the PC actinics would have been hanging off the back, and wasting 96w. The 14k of the sunpod is a nice compromise, not too yellow, not too blue..

Archived