Coral Vue Hydros

Tiger Cucumber

ZoeS

I've been trying to get accurate information tiger cukes, but every site I read seems to say something different.

I've read that they grow 3 inches, and I've also read that they grow to 3 METERS.

I've read that they are fine in 10 gallon tanks, and I've also read that they need 10 gallons of water per 3 inches of worm.

So... what's the truth here?

they grow big, they need a dsb and a lot of surface area to feed from. i wouldn't put one in my 29g tank... i had one in my old 65g (48x18x18) and that wasn't even enough.

Tim

they grow big, they need a dsb and a lot of surface area to feed from. i wouldn't put one in my 29g tank... i had one in my old 65g (48x18x18) and that wasn't even enough.

Tim

Bleh... I was afraid of this. Someone gave me a small one (2-3") along with some mushrooms. I suppose I'll find another home for him; any tips on catching him? I haven't seen him since I put him in my tank.

Will he be OK in my tank for a week? I've got a 1.5-2" sand bed.. not very deep, yeah, but he's still small?

I accidently got one as a hitchhiker one time. I think one reason you see so many different numbers for size is because it's hard to know exactly what size they are. They can dramatically expand and contract themselves, depending on what they're trying to do. Generally speaking, they won't harm anything, but they do need to be in a big tank to insure they have lots to scavenge from. You probably won't see him for a while because they take some time to get comfortable, and they're mostly nocturnal. If you have moon lights, you'll have a better chance of spotting him. Wait a while, and he'll start to come out and explore more (probably when he starts getting hungry). If you're lucky, he'll settle somewhere that's easy to get to, and then you can catch him. They're fairly valuable, so a LFS might give you something decent for him.

I accidently got one as a hitchhiker one time. I think one reason you see so many different numbers for size is because it's hard to know exactly what size they are. They can dramatically expand and contract themselves, depending on what they're trying to do. Generally speaking, they won't harm anything, but they do need to be in a big tank to insure they have lots to scavenge from. You probably won't see him for a while because they take some time to get comfortable, and they're mostly nocturnal. If you have moon lights, you'll have a better chance of spotting him. Wait a while, and he'll start to come out and explore more (probably when he starts getting hungry). If you're lucky, he'll settle somewhere that's easy to get to, and then you can catch him. They're fairly valuable, so a LFS might give you something decent for him.

Thanks for the info. It makes sense, when I got him he was about an inch across (curled up), and I saw him again later and he was about 3" long. Cute little dude.

How valuable is valuable? A supplier in my area offered 4$ for him... I'm tempted to do that because I hate selling to local hobbiests... they never show up :P

Archived