Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Heater in H.O.B Fuge

Elite Twit

Elite Twit

I have a AC 500 I'm making into a fuge. My friend recently got a Proquatics Hydrosafe 50w Heater. I am planning a 1 inch sand bed in teh fuge and was wondering since this heater needs to be vertical will there be any problems I may experience with the heater touching/somewhat in the sand?? Oh yeah he doesn't need it and lost the reciept. If there will be a problem, or is anyone has any input on the heater it'd be greatly appreciated. I was planning on ordering the Ebo Jager 50w and putting it horizontal in the fuge, but he doesn't feel like wasting his $20(17.95 to be exact)

Thanks,

Jay

In case anyone was wondering it's going on a minibow and I am changing the impeller to an ac 150 impeller.

wetworx101

I wouldnt do it, since I have quite a few examples around the house of how even 100watt heaters can melt plastic if it gets tooo close to the element...and the sand that the heater would touch at the bottom would act as more of an insulator...transferring heat to the plastic until one day you might find a hole in the bottom of your ac500 and all your water draining out... but I could be wrong...

I honestly wouldnt put a heater inside of a plastic fuge unless it was safely and reliably secured without anything touching it or it could burn holes in the plastic.

Elite Twit

Ok thanks. Heater goes in teh tank then. Has anything heard any bad(or good) things about the Proquatics? cracking getting stuck whatever? Should I stick with the ebo? Doesn't matter to me really if I have to order it, i just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks

Jay

wetworx101

I only use EBO now, as I have had 3 visi therms and 1 hagen heater all fry out on me and kill hundreds of dollars worth of fish...and then I figured, I spend all this money, like hundreds, per tank, on fish and other stuff, yet I want a cheap heater?? Okay, I sprung for all my tanks (dozen or so at any time) to have EBOs, and no meltdowns since...and no fry raising tanks @120degrees either!!

Archived