Pod Your Reef

DISAPPEARING SNAILS

STRINGCHEESE

STRINGCHEESE

In my marineland 5gal hex I've lost almost all my snails. Their shells now sit empty around my live rock. WHAT WOULD DO SUCH A THING??

Ya know I have had the same problem. Found one, then another, then another, but I have since seen the snails on the rocks without there shells. I know they are the same snails because the ones that still have there shells look exactly the same as the ones without when they are on the rock or glass. Just do not have there shells anymore. Wierdest thing I have ever seen.

circusordie16

im pretty sure that snails cant live without their shells so what you are seeing must be something different. a stomatella snail perhaps?

STRINGCHEESE

Sorry. I had to leave.

The only things in the tank are LR,feather duster, snails pepermint shrimp and damsel...oh and a ton of small mushrooms. That's it.

no hermits.

maybe there is a hitch-hiker that is in your LR that you don't know about. EIther a mantis or a crab. It could be gutting your snails.

Or the other possibility is that they are dying some other way (starvation, disease, heat, etc), and then the fish/shrimp has a feast on the body.

What type of snails are they? Margareta snails are from cool water, and will eventually die in a warm tank. If you have these types, expect to find empty shells after a little while.

dsoz :)

STRINGCHEESE
maybe there is a hitch-hiker that is in your LR that you don't know about. EIther a mantis or a crab. It could be gutting your snails.

Or the other possibility is that they are dying some other way (starvation, disease, heat, etc), and then the fish/shrimp has a feast on the body.

What type of snails are they? Margareta snails are from cool water, and will eventually die in a warm tank. If you have these types, expect to find empty shells after a little while.

dsoz :)

How would you find a mantis? I never hear clicking. The snails aren't margaretas or turbos....I really don't know what they are. I just trust one of my LFS guys. they look like a short fat nas shell and all of them have lots of pink algea on them. 2 of three are eaten. ill post a pic in a couple minutes.

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s251/STRINGCHEESEY/IMG_5491.jpg[/img]

IMG_5490.jpg

IMG_5491.jpg

maybe they are turbos??

circusordie16

first 2 look like astreas and the last is a cerith i think. they are probably dying from something but i couldnt tell you what without more info.

STRINGCHEESE
first 2 look like astreas and the last is a cerith i think. they are probably dying from something but i couldnt tell you what without more info.

what else do you need?

hey...I have an Urchin too.

i feed omega 1 and photoplankton mix to tank once a day

I'm sure your right about the snails

circusordie16

i just mean that im kinda stumped as to whats happening. it doesnt seem like there is any creature killing them so they must be dying somehow, i just cant really think of why they would die but your urchin and shrimp would be fine.

how many snails did you start with? how many have died? how long has your tank been set up?

STRINGCHEESE
i just mean that im kinda stumped as to whats happening. it doesnt seem like there is any creature killing them so they must be dying somehow, i just cant really think of why they would die but your urchin and shrimp would be fine.

how many snails did you start with? how many have died? how long has your tank been set up?

UMM...tanks been cycled for about 2 mos. started with 6 snails (because of buy 6 for...deal)

I just increased lighted hours to promote growth of algea.

something ate the snails out of their shells not just dead.

I agree it's very odd....perhaps time will tell

What are your current water Parameters?

Do you have a moonlight to check late at night for a mantis or something?.

HecticDialectics

Well it looks like your astraea snails are the ones that died. So, I'd say they either died from falling over and not being flipped back over by you (those dumb things can't right themselves if they fall), or they just died from lack of food or died somehow...

And then your peppermint shrimp came along, found the dead snail, and made it "disappear" overnight...

linkia lady

Yeh, the astrea snails need to be turned over if they fall because they can't do it themselves. But I have some and they don't really fall often. What is the temp. of your tank? I've been told that if your tank is too hot then the snail can't "stick" properly.

STRINGCHEESE
What are your current water Parameters?

Do you have a moonlight to check late at night for a mantis or something?.

It's at my office after hours...no

Well it looks like your astraea snails are the ones that died. So, I'd say they either died from falling over and not being flipped back over by you (those dumb things can't right themselves if they fall), or they just died from lack of food or died somehow...

And then your peppermint shrimp came along, found the dead snail, and made it "disappear" overnight...

That's funny! lol how do they survive in the wild?? :lol:

HecticDialectics
It's at my office after hours...no

That's funny! lol how do they survive in the wild?? :lol:

they tend to live in rockier areas... sand is tricky :lol:

If they are dying from being upside down or lack of food your peppermint will definitely clean them out.

i was thinking the same too, it's gotta be the shrimp, i had one that constantly cleaned out my hermits and snails til i gave it the boot.

Archived