Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coco worm question

Mary

Does anyone know if a coco worm can regrow radioles without dropping the crown?

My two headed coco was totally terriorized and half eaten by my black clown. I tried moving the coco several times. I tried feeding Pig every day and then twice a day but no good. He nipped off more than half of the radioles on one head before I tore the whole tank down and rebuilt it. Now Pig is oblivious to the coco which I kinda buried in the rock work but I worry about it not being able to eat well.

It is out all day and most of the night eating now. What cilia that are left are visably active eating. I've really been dumping oyster eggs (its favorite by far) and it seems happy. Even with all the harrassing it never lost a crown.

According to AQUARIUM INVERTEBRATES by JULIAN SPRUNG: "Cilia on the radioles generate currents that draw water upward into and out of the crown, and they also move particles trapped on the radioles into a groove that conducts the food particles down to the base of the radiole where they are sorted."

So... should I be worried or not? I kinda figure that if it wasn't stressed enough to loose the crown it should be okay.

Since a picture is worth tons here is a current one. It is still hard to see but you can tell lots of yellow tips are missing.

100_3034a.jpg

vike50brian

Ashame man, IMO those are some of the coolest critters in this hobby. Looks like he may make a recovery thou. Good luck, hope you get some answers from more credible reefers than I.

Well, there's enough left to feed, so it should be okay. Based on the limited attention I paid in zoology, it should be able to regenerate the cilia without dropping a crown. Just feed it well and keep the clown away!

Nicely colored coco worm you got there.

• 2 weeks later...
In case anyone is interested -- yes, it is regrowing without dropping the crown.

Great news! Thanks for the update.

Archived