Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Prop Tank Questions

krysis

I'm thinking about setting up a prop tank for zoos and rics. Iwas planning on going skimmerless and was thinking about using a fuge. Now here's my question. What does everyone think about using an in-tank fuge? And what would you recommend as far as a design goes? The size of the tank is probably going to be 20 gallons. Maybe even 10. And if you think this idea is stupid, let me know why :P I'm looking for as much input as possible.

freakaccident

What kind of in tank fuge? An actual seperate box hanging in the display tank or splitting a larger tank into two sections? I would prefer the latter. The design lizbeth used on her midge tank is cool. I would rather use an external HOT fuge or below tank fuge with the tank drilled personally to keep the display tank volume. An in tank fuge would work great and be easy to setup too just fugly IMHO. If its just a prop tank though:

Get one of those large Lees specimen boxes, drill a hole in the side, stick a minijet ph output in the hole, cut slots with a dremel on the opposite side for outflow and hang the sucker on the tank. Tunnel two together for a bigger fuge. You could stick a 2.5g tank inside a 20g nicely too. Do the same thing as with the specimen box just use a Dremel and diamond bit to cut the holes in the glass. Rig up some type of a hanger and voila.

Yeah, it's just a prop tank, so I want it as an in the tank fuge just for convenience. I was thinking of having the tank sectioned off, the fuge part containing all the live rock and the prop area just the eggcrate and maybe some sand too. I don't think I've seen Lizbeth's design.

Ok, so on the sectioned off fuge, should the pump inside the fuge be at the bottom? I would section it off with an acrylic divider in that case. Or should it be at the top? I've attached a quick sketch of my design plan so far.

tankidea01.jpg

freakaccident

I would use a decent sized pump and an SCWD and run multiple outlets so you won't need powerheads in the tank. The pump should go on the bottom so it can suck water from the bottom. Sketch looks good. You could also section off the back half of the tank instead of the side. Maybe 4"s. Acrylic will work fine for the divider. I used regular silicon to glue the acrylic dividers in my fuge to the glass. Works great.

Archived