Pod Your Reef

Flat Worm Problem

vike50brian

vike50brian

Im having an on going flat worm take over of my 24g nano-cube. I've tried nudibranch, Ive had two in fact. Lost both to my filter. Also considering dosing but will use only as a last resort. Has anyone ever had a sixline that ate flatworms? Was wanting one anyway and this will give me a good chance of convincing the wife. In case you were wondering I have the brownish/red flat worms. From what I have read online, most sites and posts say sixlines "reportedly eat flat worms". Would like to hear from anyone with any kind of experience fighting flat worms.

thanks

alexmurovec

sixlines normally will eat flatworms, but its all hit or miss. last week i had massive amounts of flatworms centralized on my frogspawn coral. i used some airline tubing to suck them out, and even though i ripped off 10+ tenticles off the spawn, all the flatworms dissapeared, and the spawn looks better than ever. i also did a freshwater dip for about 15 seconds, and i beleive this got rid of the most of the worms. if you do a freshwater dip, just make sure the temp is the same as the tank, and then dip your coral. since then i haven't seen one in my tank, its like they were only on the frogspawn, but i had had them in the tank for weeks, so most people assumed they were all over. if they are all over your tank, think about trying to suck out as many as you can, and maybe use flatworm exit. see with flatworms, when they die the poison they release can be harmful in large quantities, so you want as little of them when you resort to flatworm exit. some people will say that flatworm exit will just toast your tank, but its actually the dying worms that toast it, so less is best. but like i said, try sucking them off if they are centralized in one area, or if they are centralized on a coral, maybe resort to a freshwater dip. then if you really have to, use the flatworm exit, but make sure you look into it more and find out all the pros and cons.

get every single one you can siphoned out, use a little bit of flatworm exit, turn off the pumps, and siphon out as many as you can, add a really strong cansiter filter with filter media and add a little more flatworm exit, run carbon and do a water change after almost all of them are gone, and then add a sixline wrasse, its what im doing in my 125

Archived