Top Shelf Aquatics

Ho Made Reflectors?

Raise

I recently (yesterday) put my new D-Espi custom hood to good use. Im running 2x28w one 6700k and one 10000k, running off a ARO ballast from hellolights.com. I really love the lighting and the hood. I was wondering if you guys think it would be beneficial to add some sort of home made reflectors into the hood? Could I use tinfoil or what would you suggest. Just wondering..

Thanks

Ray

AttackDonut

Mylar is supposed to work better. Either way, I'm going to give it a spin, since my hood is black and much of the light is absorbed, as opposed to reflected.

My uneducated view is that any type of relector material would be better than none at all, but I have no evidence to back it up as of yet.

over on RC i posted the same thread and I think it was agreed upon that FLAT white was the way to go.

Im going to search around HD or Lowes for some sort of reflective metal that i can cut and for a reflector out of. There is alot of light coming our of the back of my hood so id like to try and re-direct it inwards.

One of my thoughts was to get one of the plastic mirrors from walmart. cut into strips and make my own parabolic reflector. Haven't done it yet but don't see why it wouldn't make a great reflector. There is a article at www.thekrib.com that talks about different types of reflectors and there effiencies. here is a link to one of the discussions.

http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/reflectors.html

later,

Chris

damn, pretty serious conversation.

Its hard to browse a board like that, gives me a migrain :)

It seems like the majority of what I read was going towards painting flat white... might have to try it

I hate reading things there also it gets kinda confusing. Flat white is what is recommended but its just hard to believe that white paint can out compete a mirror. I read about this over a year ago and still haven't made my mirror reflector. oh well some year I might get to it.

Chris

I agree Flat white works better. When I used to grow other things :), all the research points to flat white being the best. Tinfoil can crinkle and absorb light. There are some relectors that are designed to have optimum light reflection , but when it comes down to "Ho made reflectors" or DIY, you can't beat FLat white paint. In the experiments that I have done, I have notice a definite difference in growth, not to mention a difference that can be seen by the Naked Eye.

JMHO.

Ah yes, other things.

But of course.

I sometimes wish I grew my own things. Thanks for the input my friend!

Not difficult, but a bit risky. The Laws in CA are slightly more lenitant. I Don't know about Florida.

Regardless, Flat white is easier to do than reflectors, at least on wood.

Archived