Coral Vue Hydros

HELP! Alife Hoods are crap! See PICS!

Acoustic

Ok. So I wake up this morning after recovering from a crappy work day where I got punched in the face by a dam thief I was arresting. I also found out no promotion for me for at least a year. Anyhow, I get up this morning and switch on my light and.......................nothing. So I tear it apart and think that maybe its the starter. Nope. I then decide to test to see where the power begins and ends. I get power past the switch past the starter and straight to the ballast. So the ballast that always ran too hot in the first place went to shyte.

SOooooooooOOOOOoooo I am not happy. So luckily on my terrarium I have a 12 inch Jalli dual 13 watt compact light. Now I have this light on my tank. So here's where I am...

SHOULD I LEAVE THIS NEW LIGHT ON OR WHAT CAN I BUY TO UPGRADE? I refuse to do any electrical wiring because of bad luck in the past (another story). The tank is only 12" wide.

I will get horrible coloration on my corals with such low lighting as of now.

HELP. Here's pics of the crap hood and my temp setup.

Crap hood>

ladyamanda

Since you're local, give Fountain's a call, they sold me a full replacement hood for about $25....:)

if you don't want to do electrical work, your only option is a new hood. Either get the replacement as mentioned above or get yourself a metal halide fixture (add an actinic too while you're at it).

I think the tank looks fairly well lit for the corals that you have, at least the tank seems to be happy. A nice looking tank by the way.

Christopher Marks

What about have PSL make a custom hood for you? Then you could get what you really want for lighting. I think the tank looks nice with/out the Alife hood.

Is there a lip inside the tank that glass could sit on?

I really like the way the Jalli looks sitting on the tank.

I spent a good deal of time today looking on the net.

Here are my options:

- Leave the Jalli 2 x 13 watt

- 1 x 32 watt retro (I will need a hood)

- 2 x 27 retro ( Hood plus wiring UGH)

acoustic i see that you are in southern cali. if you want i can have my buddy at the lfs look at it and possibly fix it for you. or if you trust me i can do it for you just pm me and i'll send you my phone number and you can come over one day.

I've got the same alife tank and just replaced the (POS) fan - I was warned ahead of time that the fan+hood would burn out more quickly than most, but I figured the hassle was worth it since the little tank looks pretty slick.

Now that I have animals in there that could suffer from the hood/light/fan/whatever getting screwed up, I'm thinking of building a new hood - or just moving everything to my 20g...

OxInYourBox

You could just replace the ballast with a Workhorse 2 (and possibly bulb) and keep the stock hood. If I were in So Cal I'd do it for you.

Good luck either way you go and post pics :). The tank looks too good to keep hidden from us ;).

with summer (+southern cali weather) on its way, i would go with chris's suggestion for an elevated (psl) hood with a pair of 27/28/32w bulbs.

guess a-life tanks aren't the "best thing ever" eh? ;)

cyano looks like it's clearing up. rock on.

btw (strictly speaking), there is no self - to know.:|

Originally posted by Acoustic

Very good adinsxq! Now think deeper and continue.

thinking is counter-productive.

rather than continue, accept the disease for what it is and follow the path to cessation.:|

Archived