Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jsw bc29

jsw

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick question, which light do you run and what bulb combination?

I run a 400w Reeflux 12k on a Coralvue ballast. It sits about 10 inches off the water in a Lumenarc mini reflector. I really like the bulb color. Unfortunately a lot of corals can't handle this much light -- or rather, I gave up trying because they just didn't seem to acclimate to the intensity and I didn't want to completely bleach them out. The micros and acans I've tried in here don't like it unless they're shaded. Even some of the SPS corals (certain digitatas I have) had to be moved around a bit too. The color is great, the growth is great and everything is very happy; you just need to be aware that this intensityof light is not good for a lot of different types of corals in a 29 gallon tank.

Thanks for the response....that is A LOT of light for a 29 gallon :) I have a 150w on my 29 gallon and I have an acan echinata that has to be shaded.

• 1 month later...
I think an update is in order!! Beautiful tank, TOTM soon I'm sure.

Yes it is. I have some coraline scraping to do before some more pictures. My asterina population has exploded, and they're making some nice progress in place of the razor blade.

I had a temp spike up to 85 a couple weeks ago. A couple of my corals did not like that. A birdsnest that I had grown from a little tiny frag went south and I had to frag it up. That was a bummer.

This 400w light kinda drives me crazy now. It's just too much. I raised the light about 18" above the tank now to keep the temps stable and some of the lower light corals in decent shape. I'm on the lookout for a nice 250w ballast needless to say. Call me ignorant but is a 400w mogul socket the same as a 250w?

I haven't added any corals. I'm in the watching things grow phase. I have add an emerald and a little tuxedo urchin.

I accidentally pulled the urchin out of the tank twice because I honestly thought it was just a big ball of algae and gunk. :lol: I'm a little more careful now.

very beautiful. what camera are u using?

It's an Olympus 720SW. I wouldn't actually recommend the camera for day-to-day point-and-shoot use because the auto settings don't take very good pictures IMO. With some tweaking it takes decent tank pics.

But you can take pictures underwater! It's a waterproof camera. Some of the nicer coral shots are taken underwater. This camera has been dropped, thrown, left outside and beaten up and it keeps on ticking thanks to being "shockproof". Whatever that means.

Archived