Pod Your Reef

The Diy $36 Auto Topoff!!

Littleoceans

freakaccident

I should mention that of course your auto topoff wont work at night when the lights are off. I don't evap too much overnight so it doesn't really matter.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wiper pump vs powerhead...

The AQ200F powerheads have extrernal AC adapters, so if you don't want to run house AC through your switch, use one of those (can't remember who makes them).

THe wiper pump might have a better duty cycle than the powerheads. Powerheads sometimes won't start, wiper pumps probably are made to always start....though wiper pumps probably aren't made to run that often either.

Afraid of snails/excess top off? You can wire in another float switch in series with the circuit to shut off if too much water is in the tank.

However, very nice idea. Excellent!

V

• 2 months later...
quiksilver5768

Hey littleoceans, nice job with the float switch. I personally have had a snail overflow my tank 2 times already. Its a real pain. I don't even use my auto top off anymore because of those 2 bad experiences. I know someone said to make some type of pvc cage around the float switch....does anyone have any ideas how to do that exactly? Ive been trying to think of a way for a while now and I still cant figure out how to. Also, if anyone has a link to another post or website of someone who has done this, please tell me. Thanks.

RobinsonFam1

you can do a search on here and on thereeftank.com

just build some pvc pipes together with a cap on the bottom, drill holes in the pvc to allow water to enter. remember, all you are trying to do is keep a snail or crab from hanging on it.

search rc as well

Archived