Pod Your Reef

hair algae

linkia lady

linkia lady

I have a 12g tank with one turbo snail, one nass. snail and one emerald crab as my cuc. All my levels are good. I currently have 4 large growths of hair algae and I would like to get rid of them before they become a problem. What can I get that will eat the hair algae?

RayWhisperer

The best way to rid yourself of it is manually removing it. Next time you do a water change, keep the water in a bucket. Pull out the LR that has HA on it. Put it in the bucket, and remove the HA. Keep a bit of the water separate, use this to dunk the LR in. This will get rid of any small bits of HA. Keep up with weekly water changes and filter cleanings, and you shouldn't have any issues with it.

What's your phosphate level at? Phosphates are generally the main cause of algae blooms and breakouts. Maybe look into getting something like PhosGuard or Phos-Ban. Good luck! :)

Testing phosphates can be misleading. Algae can contain the phosphates so it looks like you don't have any when in fact you do. I found the best way to get rid of hair algae is water changes with good salt and ro/di water and manual removal. What also really helps is not turning on your lights for 2 or 3 days. You will see a big improvement though you may ### off some of your coral but they'll get over it.

Archived