ReefCleaners.org

any1 lost a pepermint to a cleaner?

ChinaChan

got 2 cleaners and one with eggs totally murdered my new pepermint!!!

the pepermint was really small...u think thats why or the cleaners not eating enough?

anywayz...gona swap that murder shrimp for a pompom crab.

Shrimp probably died and the cleaner ate it.

the pep was only introduced for 3 days ....the cleaner prob munched it while it was molting!!! might just chuck in a pack of polomints in for the cleaner to eat..

SeeDemTails

If you dont feed cleaners they destory your tank and harass coras. They comb SPS branches looking for anything, and constatly pick at zoas. IMO they should be listed as a zoa irratitant on ZoaId.com

If you dont feed cleaners they destory your tank and harass coras. They comb SPS branches looking for anything, and constatly pick at zoas. IMO they should be listed as a zoa irratitant on ZoaId.com

thanks...will prob feed those greedy shrimps somemore food before they go wrecking my soft corals!!! (but i guess not too much are they'll just get real lazy....abit like fat feeding)..then again a 50pound cleaner shrimp might look cool

if in the future you do add another pep make sure its the same size or bigger than your cleaners

thanks for the advice dude....i managed to swap the mean cleaner for the BIGGEST pep in the LFS but hes still not as big!!

hope they get on this time!!!

I have personally never had any traoubles with cleaners. They are great detrivores and will readily finish off anything dead or dying. A healthy pep would not be on the menu. I have had issues with them picking at corals, but only after I've fed them.

The only folks who have trouble with cleaner "preying" on other livestock, are folks with newer tanks and unhealthy livestock.

i managed to swap the mean cleaner for the BIGGEST pep in the LFS but hes still not as big!!

I don't know about where you live, but 'round these parts any size peps go for $7.99, while small cleaners can go for $30+ with the big ones for over $50.

I'll say it again. Look at the claws on a cleaner, they are not predators. They are obligate detrivores and consumers of near microscopic arthropods.

Archived