ReefCleaners.org

fish keep diying off!!!

Iphantom

every fish I have tried to keep(4) has died!

all my levels have been fine for the most part no drastic chenges and my corals are all doing very well

and last week my cleaner shrimp died I check all the levels and things are fine

someone told me it was because I keep my salt a 1.23 and they said I sould keep it at 1.20 or 1.19

what do you think?

could it just be bad luck?

-Matt

Could you provide your water params including temp? Your salinity should be higher, not lower. Bornemans Aquarium Corals book recommends 1.027, while Delbeek/Sprung's The Reef Aquarist recomends 1.025.

As far as SG goes.....different fish come from different places.......The Red Sea (1.027-8) is much more saline than the Pacific (1.024), so if you really want to get technical, match the SG for the area the fish are from. Axelrod's encyclopedia lists the SG (as well as other parameters) for each species. It really expensive, like $80-100 (got mine for my birthday), so you might go to your LFS and look up what you need. I run my 45 FOWLR at 1.018 and all of my fish have been with me for years!! I lost a clown about 5 months ago, proly old age, since I had him for 4-5yrs.

What kind of fish were they? Some are notorious for not doing well in the tank setting, but yet, the LFS still sell them.

a clown a royal gramma and an alge bleeny

not at the same time

I had the clown and the royal gramma

then the clown died and the royal gramma went missing(I took all my live rock out and cleaned out my whole tank and looked around the floor and everything never found him maybe he jumped out and my cat ate him)

then a while later I got an alge blenny and he was doing good and he just died one day 2 days later my cleaner shrimp died I havent bougt any fish since then

but all my corals are really good and my feather duster is too

-Matt

question. does your cat sit and stare at the tank all day from a close proximity? I had a ledge near my 29G freshwater tank (about a foot or two away) that my cat used to sit on and stare at the tank all day.

Needless to say this really stressed out most of my fish and I had problems with mysterious deaths and disappearances. After re-situating the tank so that there was no kitty interference or stareing, my fish did remarkably better and I have had no mysterious deaths since.

IMO, if everything else looks fine, watch your cat for trouble.

BTW - you would get more help if you posted more of your tank parameters like 'trates 'trites ammonia temp etc.

winter

does your cat sit and stare at the tank all day from a close proximity?  I had a ledge near my 29G freshwater tank (about a foot or two away) that my cat used to sit on and stare at the tank all day.  

Needless to say this really stressed out most of my fish and I had problems with mysterious deaths and disappearances.  After re-situating the tank so that there was no kitty interference or stareing, my fish did remarkably better and I have had no mysterious deaths since.  

That is classic....my cats did the same thing when they were kittens....no deaths though!

I also had a big, 5" algae blenny, go MIA on me.....I never found him and I think the crabs had a feast. Do you have any sort rare or exotic corals or macro? Maybe some sort of toxin in the water? What about you're skimmer, airpumps, or PH's picking up a contaminant from the air in the house (Lemon fresh pledge, acetone, floor wax, hair spray, etc).

This sounds like a case for Mulder and Scully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NawlinReefer

You might have a mantis shrimp. If your corals are fine then your fish should be fine unless you have a mantis in your tank. Keep an eye out for one.

yea I think this one is going to be an X file I am going to wait a while then get a fish then wait like a month and get another one(any suggestions for interesting colorfull small maybe alge eating fish) but I am going to wait until my tank is fully stocked with corals

I do have a piece of macro alge but I dont think it is exotic there is a pic among many others of my tank in here:http://briefcase.yahoo.com/xproject_mattx

also tell me what you think of my tank

-Matt

Hey Matt,

Doesn't look like anything you've got! I figured it was proly a long shot anyway!!!

I had an idea, did you get all your fish at once or at least within a month of each other? What if the supplier for your LFS got a batch of Cyanide Captured fish? That could reduce their viability dramatically!

I did get them from the same LFS within a month-that makes the most sense

-I am going to get more fish soon when I put all the corals in my tank

check out my briefcase again....I have floresent orange corline alge I have never seen that in anyone elses tanks

-Matt

Archived