inTank Media Baskets

My 55G FOWLR turning into a reef

murphy_5

well if you need a timer I got one, just not enough for the lights so I figured I might as well turn them all on and off by hand

Thank you after messing around with it for another half hour I figured it out. There is little pie pieces and each one is 15 mins. I got it to work by pressing one in (only one) and then letting it out until I figured out how to work it. Wierd you can't have the slider to (on) it has to be on set for it to turn the lights on and off. Then why is there an on button???

As of now I'm not...but I really want to have one soon. I can't spend a whole lot though maybe around $150 or maybe I can find a good used one on here???. I have just been doing about 20% waterchanges now and pointing my Koralia towards the surface.

any updates?

Nothing yet really...I'm still looking for a decent skimmer for cheap lol I kow champaign on a beer budget lol. I will be getting a small frag of very bright GSP soon other than that all is well and just trying to take out some of the crushed coral hand by hand. Taking it very slow this time around.

Well I'm making a sump and I went to Petsmart today and picked up a 20G long only to find out that it is too wide!!! UHHHGGGGG! So I only have 11'' of space under my tank! I'm stuck with a 10G or a 15 High, maybe a 20 high??? I don't want to go that high though so I'll probably just do the 10 G better than nothing. I don't have any room at all behind the tank or in the closet across from my tank either or I would try the 20 long (such a sweet tank!!! Oh anyway I do have the plumbing mostly done...I was hoping to have it all up and running tonight! Guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

SOMETHING ALWAYS GOES WRONG!!!

shaggydoo541

Here is some advice for you. Don't get a skimmer.

PS - Something always goes wrong no matter what type of setup you have.... it is just part of the hobby. That is why I keep as little equipment as possible so there is less chance of something going wrong.

Here is some advice for you. Don't get a skimmer.

PS - Something always goes wrong no matter what type of setup you have.... it is just part of the hobby. That is why I keep as little equipment as possible so there is less chance of something going wrong.

Why do you say no to the skimmer??? Yeah I'm trying to make a sump so Ican get rid of all the hang on back crap! Aslo I'm thinking about putting a black background on the tank! Maybe help hide some of the wires and stuff.

OK I finished building a small 10G sump this morning...now its off to work....and then after ward I will try to hook it all up. I just used a $10 10 Gallon Aquarium I got from petsmart should do better than my Canister filter I'm using then I can take all the hang on stuff off the back of my tank :) This is not a true Fuge or sump I just went to home depot and got some egg crate and cut it in place so everything doesn't move maybe I'll get some pics later tonight.

Ok well that was a huge failure :( The idea I think was good but it would go in faster than it would pump...I knew I was a bad DIY'er I guess I'll see if anyone has a sump for sale I refuse to buy one new they so damn expensive!!! This time with an overflow box! 10G is just not enough I think I'll build a little platfor under my tank that way I can use a bigger tank!

anemonehost
Ok well that was a huge failure :( The idea I think was good but it would go in faster than it would pump...I knew I was a bad DIY'er I guess I'll see if anyone has a sump for sale I refuse to buy one new they so damn expensive!!! This time with an overflow box! 10G is just not enough I think I'll build a little platfor under my tank that way I can use a bigger tank!

If the water is going in faster then it is pumping out, try using a ball valve to slow down the water going into the sump.

You can adjust the valve If it is too slow or too fast.....JJ

If the water is going in faster then it is pumping out, try using a ball valve to slow down the water going into the sump.

You can adjust the valve If it is too slow or too fast.....JJ

You know what that is a great idea...Man I suck at DIY thanks for the tip!!!

shaggydoo541

I say don't get a skimmer because I have found they not needed. You can run a successful tank with no skimmer and that is just one less piece of equipment you have to buy and make fit somewhere. Good luck with your makeshift sump.

How was it going down faster than back into the tank? It should only flow down as fast as you are pumping back up to the main tank, or slower if you don't have big enough overflow tubing (in which case the main tank should overflow)... am I missing something about how you set it up?

Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong with my sump...my pump was way too small. Anyway I'm trying to work a deal out for a 24'' x 15'' x 10'' sump with overflow! I can use my plumbing and just find a good 600gph pump. I will work the ball valve into my sump plans this time :) I'll try again! I did just get a real nice frag of GSP from a buddy of mine at my LFS. Very nice bright green! Maybe I'll try to get a pick. I have also been battling my Green hair problem on my sand bed. I took about another 10lbs of Crushed Coral out of the bottom today! Its amazing what nutrients can leach out of that stuff!!! My test kit and my LFS's is still showing >5ppm??? Oh well I'll keep at it also its not on the rock and I have been using some phosban just to keep it in check...or at least try! Hopefully I'll get my sump up soon that should help a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple updates :) I just got a couple new additions to the tank one med. Yellow Tang (3inches) and a purple firefish...which is wierd I tried this as hopeing it would work and it is! Already the Firefish are swimming together and even go into the same bolt hole when the lights are turned off...I'll keep everyone updated on this as I go along. I am prepared to take them out if it doesn't work.

Archived