inTank Media Baskets

Figure Eight Puffer and spotted in Saltwater tanks?

Zero

went to the LFS and saw a school of Figure 8 and spotted in Saltwater tanks with the damsels.. is this right?? i asked the owner and they said the are both....since i don't know can you guys tell me?

goody my favourite, as a puffer lover :blush:, it is common to see fig8 puffs in saltwater tanks or fresh or brackish, they do prefer to live in slight brackish to full marine conditions though, this is kinda like the "shall i use a skimmer or not" disbute. I would of given you the link to chunkypuff.net but apparently it's been hacked and has shutdown :( .

p.s want anymore detailed info plz reply

I had a figure 8 puffer in fresh water. It lived 4 years. It was a beast. It mauled or killed every other animal it came into contact with, even though the puffer was tiny. Finally, it lived the rest of its days alone on a 5 gal. Definitely not a community fish.

yeah, Damm strait Fig8's arent community fish unless you were gonna do a species only tank, or do a bit of reseach there are some tankmates that fig8's can put up with.

I have mine in a 20L nano with a yellow tail damsel. hey ignore each other. The puffer ignores the crabs and softies too. My kid loves him.

The puffer ignores the crabs

I find that very hard to believe. My old figure 8 ate a fiddler for lunch. That was back when I was an inmature newbie and knew nothing, and hence, mixed two incompatible species. Small crabs are a puffer's treat.

Hermit crabs actually. They duck in their shells when he eyeballs them and then gets distracted. I think the puffer has A.D.D. The coral banded shrimp swipes at him when he takes a poke. He ends up being poked instead. Its an action packed tank. At least to my ten yr old.

GilliganFx

Interesting the figure 8s are in SW.. they are a completely FW puffer. The spotted's are brackish to SW.. they do one of those swim-out-to-the-ocean-from-rivers-as-they-get-older deals in the wild. Both are pretty damn cute.

Smokin-Reefer

I've kept spotted puffers for a few years, Originally, I put them in my 55 FO tank, but they never did as well, or lived as long, or even colored as nice as they do in BRACKISH water. in the wild, they live in channels and ###### where fw, and sw are carried in and out with current, so they technically CAN live in both, I would STRONGLY reccomend the spotted puffer for a brackish tank, a suitable fish to go with them, are green scats, at least they were ok in my tank.

sorry for rambling on and on, but I've just finished a six pack.

*burp*

Originally posted by GilliganFx

Interesting the figure 8s are in SW.. they are a completely FW puffer.  The spotted's are brackish to SW.. they do one of those swim-out-to-the-ocean-from-rivers-as-they-get-older deals in the wild.  Both are pretty damn cute.

errr...fig 8's are just as brackish as gs puffers.

Christopher Marks

It really would do better in brackish water, to keep it long term. Most brackish fish are going to enjoy varying specific gravity every few weeks.

I kept two in my brackish tank about 3 or 4 years ago. Cute little fish, with quite a bite. :)

Archived