SaltCritters.com

48x18x8 in prop tank - sump or sumpless?

ZoaMania

I am going to be setting up a prop system in 1 month when we move into our new home.

I am going to be using this tank, 48 in. long x 18 in. wide x 8 in. tall as the prop system, and it will be stand alone, as the 90G reef will stay downstairs.

I am going to go bare bottom so I can feed heavily. No fish.

Flow will be a Seio 1100 and a Tunze 6025.

Lighting will be a custom built hanging canopy with a 175W MH on the SPS side, and 75W VHO actinics running through both sides of the MH>

I will be propping SPS on one side, LPS in the middle, and softies on the 3rd step of the eggcrate contraption I am building.

The tank is not drilled. I can get it drilled locally, but I am afraid it could crack when they are doing it and I a,m afraid of taking that chance. Should I not be? If I go sumpless, waht are the disadvantages besides less water volume?

Any ideas I should consider while the system is not yet set up?

Sump with a fatty skimmer--Euro-Reef, Octopus needle-wheel, ASM (my fave), etc. Hang-on overflow (weld-on-16-in a piece of acrylic to make a chamber for it to keep its siphon when the power is out, or get a CPR one). High volume of corals plus recently-fragged, thus stressed-out pieces, not only create slime and extra toxins, but need extra-good water quality to be successful. JMO.

i would say alot more flow will be needed in a large tank, try and find a used tunze 6100 and mount it on a wavy sea in one corner instead of the 6025 and the seio pump, then use a smaller return pump for a sump with a fuge and skimmer, heavy feeding means that your going to need a larger fuge with i would say as much LR as possible in the sump, and do not skip out on the skimmer, good water quality = happy and fast growing frags, i would also try and keep a small fish in there such as a few chromis, corals do like some dirty water, as for the sump i would for for a 29G sump to ensure you have a large enough fuge for LR since you are going with egg crate in the display, and i would say at that depth i would not even have VHO lights i would go with 2 14,000K 175W MH lights on lumenarc reflectors, LOTS of calcium supplimentation and frequent water changes...about every 2-3 weeks

You can always grow into a sump. That's what I did. Having one would add to volume--sure----it would also give you a place to put all the gear. I use mine for a deep sand bed as well.

Maybe it's just me---but it seems like you could use more flow. Maybe not -- that's about 1800GPH that you have, right?

Best of luck!! Keep us posted!

You can always grow into a sump. That's what I did. Having one would add to volume--sure----it would also give you a place to put all the gear. I use mine for a deep sand bed as well.

Maybe it's just me---but it seems like you could use more flow. Maybe not -- that's about 1800GPH that you have, right?

Best of luck!! Keep us posted!

The tank volume is less than 30G total. Without any LR or anything to disturb the flow on it, I think that a Seio (1100 GPH) + a tunze 6025 modded ( ~800GPGH) leaves the tank with a whopping 63 turnovers per hour.

I have a question about a DSB and/or LR.. Would that create a place for detritus to be trapped? I was thinking of just using some chaeto in the sump ( if I decide to go with it) for filtration and a tiny bit of LR rubble in a strawberry basket for some pods to grow in.

Oh, and on the light side of things. I saw a massive shrimp spawn in my 'fuge last night. There were probably thousands of the little buggers swimming around. I was lucky to tcatch it around 2 in the morning.

Any more input appreciated. I have one month to plan this. I am thinking I may want it drilled.

Go sump with a large skimmer if you are going to be feeding heavily

Just to be sure we are all on the same page: my concept of feeding heavily is 3-4 times weekly, 1/5 teaspoon of oyster eggs.

Will the heavily oversized skimmer still be necessary?

I am sure you will have enough flow then--I can't "see" gallons with measurements--I am disabled like that! :lol:

I have a 200 gallon set up with a CSS220 and a Euroreef rated for 135 gallons.

I think that I feed A LOT--meaning cyclops, mysis and Oyster eggs--in volumes of 4-5 tablespoons every 2-3 days.

I don't think you sound like you are feeding that much. Except for $$$$, that is. I only use the oyster eggs when I have to---as a feeding trigger or to try to feed my SPS. I don't use it every time I feed.

I think you should have a skimmer---what size I dunno. IMO you really can't go wrong with having a bigger one than your tank volume--but that's just me.

Mvite and others following along:

What about lighting.

My plan so far is 2 x 175W MH + 2 x48in. VHO actinic.

The MH would be 6500k + 14k.

Please criticize.

since it is only 8" deep i dont see a problem using the vho's on one side for softies and some lps

6500k would give nice sps growth and the 14 would color them up, with the actinics

and yeah that doesnt really look like heavy feeding to me either

look out for my thread on my prop tank

you may get some ideas that no one on this board has yet

or atleast i havent seen anyone with

Fate--Your not proppin zoas in your shorts again.... :)

Zoa--That lighting sounds fine to me. You will have some pretty shallow water.

I have 2 x 250 on my tubs---I can use depth as a filter. I can place corals up to 40" away from the light--about 25 inches from the water or I can place them 10" away from the light in 6 inches of water.

I bought a lumen meter thinking it would help me--and it hasn't. I still can't tell where the most light strikes in my tubs.

I have heard that 6500 is very unpleasing to the eye---I use 10K on one side and 20K on the other. I'm pleased---but I have considered trying a 6500K with some supplementation. I don't want another hassle though. I like the single pendants---it's crowded enough above the tubs.

Fate--Your not proppin zoas in your shorts again.... :)

Zoa--That lighting sounds fine to me. You will have some pretty shallow water.

I have 2 x 250 on my tubs---I can use depth as a filter. I can place corals up to 40" away from the light--about 25 inches from the water or I can place them 10" away from the light in 6 inches of water.

I bought a lumen meter thinking it would help me--and it hasn't. I still can't tell where the most light strikes in my tubs.

I have heard that 6500 is very unpleasing to the eye---I use 10K on one side and 20K on the other. I'm pleased---but I have considered trying a 6500K with some supplementation. I don't want another hassle though. I like the single pendants---it's crowded enough above the tubs.

Mvite,

I have 2 of those single pendants. I am going to be dismantling them to fit them into a canopy. if you're interested, maybe I can sell you those and get myself a retrofit.

About the lighting, I have found some research backing up the idea of using 6500k with heavy actinic supplementation. You get both growth and color. And I will have an extra 14k MH just in case I want to burn the 6500k less.

Fate,

Where can i find that thread. i would love some prop ideas for my setup.

Mvite,

why is the lux meter not helping you?

It "kind of" gives me an idea of light--like "This area here has spots where the reading is a little higher."

I got the Milwaukee--and it was pretty inexpensive. I was hoping to use it to really "see" the areas where light was most intense. It was helpful at first--because the area directly below the bulb seemingly has one of the lowest areas of light intensity....

I have two pendants already--That's how I know I like it. When you have to take pics and stuff---it's easier to move the pendants. I have an Icecap rectangular and a ReefOptix III.

You would also be amazed at how the light intensity immediately drops as soon as there is water between the meter and the source.

Finally got around to some photos.

Building the station to hold all the frags.

413.jpg

The tank with the station inside it

223.jpg

The prop rack complete

137.jpg

How would you guys drill this, and what kind of overflow would you use?

I was originally not going to drill it, but it is a display frag setup, so i need it looking neat.

• 2 months later...

The frag tank has been up and running for 2 months now.

Here are some shots of some stuff I have. Everything seems to be doing very well under the 175W MH and 2 x 75W VHO.

2-3 inches below the water surface as a general rule for most corals.

Emeralds on Fire Zoas:

Frag_2_.jpg

Various zoas:

Frag_12_.jpg

More zoas:

Frag_3_.jpg

Need ID on these very bright green palythoas:

Frag_11_.jpg

Neon green caulastrea:

Frag_8_.jpg

Orange Ricordia florida:

Frag_7_.jpg