inTank Media Baskets

What happened to these corals?

bobioden

I can't figure what happened to these corals. I went on vacation for two weeks and arrived back to this.

The mushrooms used to be Dark Red, the Candy Cane full and entended, and the brain very intense Green.

My roommate says he had the lights on a average of 12 hours. They were used to 8. Would this be why they faded so much?

Will they return to their normal color? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

??? ???

Absolutely right. Littleoceans hit it on the head.

You need to put your coral on a set schedule. If they're used to something and you change it up, they aren't going to be happy.

You've spent enough on the tank. Spend six more bucks at Walmart on a timer. You'll be glad you did.

Do not believe your roommate. He's lieing. The corals are not suffering from overlighting. They are suffering from underlighting. Look at how they are bleaching.

For what it's worth, I have to agree w/Acoustic.

I just read an article on coral bleaching that stated often we assume a coral has been "bleached" by overlighting when in fact, heat, in conjunction with UNDERLIGHTING, is the culprit in most cases. The symbiotic algae that provide nourishment to the coral, start to die off. This same algae is what gives the coral their color.

I too would suggest a timer.

HTH.

Thanks for the responses. I bought a timer, so hopefully this won't happen again.

I am wondering if the colors will return back to the corals?

i too think they look like they've suffered from not enough light....

Hopefully they bounce back, im sure they will.

Archived