Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Fish Only Tank

syaeger

I'm thinking about setting up a small fish only marine tank. I'm not interested in corals. I currently have a 55 Gal cichlid tank and only have room for another small tank. I've always been interested in doing a marine tank, but didn't want to spend the money for a large one. I've been meticulous in mantaining my present tank and I believe I'll dedicate the time needed to properly maintain this nano system. This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Mini-Bow 7 gallon

Tetra-Tec 150 filter w/heater

small power head

1 clown fish

1 watchman goby (or simular type of fish)

live rock

live sand (DSB)

clean up crew (snails, crabs, etc.)

Should this work OK? What brand of power head do you recommend? How much live rock and live sand? What and how many critters should I have for the clean up crew. Is my choice of fish OK for this size of tank? If not what specific species and how many? Any other suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

it should be fine....mine is my first marine tank as well

you may find that you will want to do corals after having your tank for a while....its not as hard as people may make it seem its actually quite easy if you have any questoins on corals I will be happy to anser them

power head brand makes very little difference I have hagen power head 201 and 301 you whould probley be fine with one I just have alot of live rock(20ish lbs) in mine you want about a 4 inch live sand bed and live rock the more the better as long as you leave plunty of space for fish...I have 3 very dense pieces thats why there is so much-4 blue or red legged hermits or 2 blue and 2 red 1 shrimp (cleaner shrimps are nice) lots of snails I have ten mostly astrea and some marteritas maybe a feather duster for looks- your choice of fish is fine as long as you do your water changes 25% once a week I dont know about the tetra tec filter heater combos I have heard they suck... but I have not used them myself

the most importent thing I can tell you is wait before adding anything this can be a very frusterating hobby and is much worse when you dont wait I learned that the hard way just take your time and do ALOT of reasearch I have had my tank since january and I am always reading and posting questions in a tank that small there will probley always be somthing to worry about I know there is with mine

well let me know if you have any more questions

check out my nano-at: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/xproject_mattx

-Matt

technoshaman

I'm sure you can get away with that bioload. I converted my nano to a FOWLR that now houses my bluespot jawfish and a damsel and a few hermits.

what is the maximum amount of fish i can have in a 5.5 g FOWLR? I know it depends on the fish, but give me examples of what people have succesfully had in a 5.5 (im hoping more than one...)

Katy:

Though the Bio wheelmight defeat the pupose of the LR you could get away with 2 or even 3 fish with a heftier Biowheel type filter. Just make sure the fish don't grow larger than 2" and water changes are bery consistent. Sea Grass or macro algea may help with " trates" and keep the temps lower (76-78), this provides more Oxygen. Oh, don't put use Damsels (too territorial) and don't add two or three fish all at once.

I've used a Tetratec filter w/heater on my 55 Fish only for over two years now with no problems other than nitrates stay at or above 50, but I think it has a lot to do with the fish I have, 6 " Clown trigger,5" lionfish and a snowflake eel. and more likely has to do with the crushed coral trapping food chunks,(triggers are messy as hell). But for the boat load of money for Tertatec you could by a whisper or something and a in tank heater.

I quess what I'm tring to say is if you already have it --Use it

If not go the other route....Cheaper with the same results.

Archived