ReefCleaners.org

Updated Pics Of My 12 G Eclipse

jdsabin1

I added another 32 watts of Smartlight goodness under the hood, added a HOB Aquaclear 150 filter and surface skimmer, and added a squamosa clam, logical reef zoos, anthelia, ricordia's (9) and some new candy cane (my old batch bit the dirt). My Fox coral by the way is taking over my tank. It is the happiest coral in my whole assortment and is gorgeous actually.

I am really excited about the new light as adding that and ripping out the filter gives me a lot more light in the back half of the tank. I have my eye on a gorgeous piece of pom-pom zenia at my lfs store that will be mine before the week is over :).

wholetank.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

anthelia.jpg

Awesome looking tank Jeff!

I guess you won't be going with the 96 watt setup. If money were no concern for me, I'd go with the 150 watt HQI. oh well... more decisions.

btw, where do you live? if you live in soutern CA, I'd sell you my pom pom xenia.

Josh

harbingerofthefish

How long has this tank been going? Its beautiful. I've said it before and here we go again, I've got to get me a fox.

Did all these corals come that size or has there been any grow out. I mean, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of great looking tanks on this site, but with a little looking, a lot of shots come from the 2nd day or so after adding whole colonies, or beautiful LPS. Just wondering how long some of those corals have been in your set up.

My blastomussa has done nothing but gow, although it started as a 2 head frag, but my candy and spawn just aren't doing nearly as well as yours.

Thanks for the compliments all. It's definitely a work in progress.

harbinger: The tank has been going 'officially' since early January of this year. Grow out has included the fox, the blasto, the green star polyps, the frogspawn and some of the mushrooms. The daisies also started off barren and have since sprouted tons of new baby daisies :). Now with that said, did they all start from baby frags? No, but they have definitely grew out. I have posted some before and afters to give you some idea. The mushroom frags were no bigger than a pencil eraser when I attached them but I didn't get pics of those since they were under some mesh so they would attach :(.

The other pieces are too new to say that they have 'grown' much although they all seem to be doing fine. I have lost a batch of candy cane :(, so replaced it with a 'lost soul' candy cane frag that was ready to be given up on at the lfs.

Again, here's some early shots that give you an indication of how they have come along. When I look for coral pieces I am normally meticulous regarding size and health. So far I have only lost my candy cane and I should have been tipped off when some other candy cane in the same tank was sliming but I made an impulse decision because I love candy cane coral so much. I won't impulse buy ever again needless to say.

Oh and the anthelia I got from IPSF from Hawaii looked like a** when I got it. It was stuck to some 'pebbles' (literally) and was brown and wilty (what little of it there was). The wife suggested we simply throw it away. I am telling you this stuff grows like a weed. It is seriously growing like a dandelion now!

Anyway, here are some earlier shots:

frogspawnearly.jpg

frogspawn.jpg

gspearly.jpg

gsp.jpg

frag1early.jpg

anthelia.jpg

harbingerofthefish

thaks for the pictoral. I didn't really mean to direct that at all the corals, mostly the lps. It's basically a placemnet issue I'm dealing with in my tank. My blasto started as a 2 head frag and in 2 months has grown 5 new ones, but my candy in almost identical placement is not doing nearly as well.

see this if have some time and see my questions:

http://europa.lunarpages.com/~reefcr2/php2...php?p=1424#1424

Thanks Chufa! I appreciate your kind words and it's great to hear that especially from another fellow Des Moines citizen ;).

I see what you're saying harbinger. I am a huge geek in terms of research and the corals I have chosen have been deliberately picked for ease of care and placement based on my rockwork (well almost ... the squamosa clam was/is an experiment as I saw a few others here had a squam in their nano's and I love the clams. I knew the real colorful maxima's etc wouldn't work but I had read positive things about the squamosa's under PC's so I gave him a try. So far ... so good).

Anyway, I digress. My point is this is what I have read to be true about these particular corals that you had asked about:

Frogspawn:

Although very strong currents are not appreciated, some water movement is required. It requires medium to strong light.

So I placed him fairly close to powerhead/filter movement but not so those were blowing him around like he's in a windstorm. I also placed him halfway up the rock so he is directly underneath the light. So far he seems to love that.

-----------

Blasto:

Lighting: Low to Moderate (does not like direct metal halide

lighting and should be placed low and perhaps to the side of the aquarium)

Current: Low to Moderate (seems to expand much fuller in

low current conditions)

Placement: Low in the tank, preferably on the substrate and well away from any aggressive species that may sting it.

Based on these suggestions, I have the blasto to the right side of the aquarium, low (on the sand actually so it's 'on the substrate') and the current there is fairly low. As you can see, he opens up fully during the day also.

-------------

Candy Cane:

It requires moderate lighting and moderate water movement so I have placed him fairly low in the tank in a cove type area so he isn't flooded with current. I may have to move him higher still if he doesn't act like he's getting the light he needs but this is a 'wait and see' for me right now. As you know I have a poor track record with candy cane but dearly love them so I am going to do whatever I can to make this a win/win relationship :P.

-------------

Fox:

Low to Medium Lighting (Standard VHO, compacts, Halide)

Low to medium water current

Photosynthetic, no direct food required, Phytoplankton does accelerate growth and color.

I have the fox nearly on the bottom with a slight ledge above him so he doesn't get pounded with light. He is also in a low current area with no powerheads directly near him. To be brutally honest, I didn't have high hopes for this coral when I brought him home. He was extremely shy at first and took nearly a week for him to fully open. Since that time though he has never looked back and during the peak hours of the light cycle he is really filled out and has grown like crazy. I regret not taking a picture of him at the lfs I got him from or when I first got it. Since that time it is truly amazing what my fox has done in terms of growth.

I am feeding DT's (mainly for my clam's benefit) but I am sure other corals like my fox is benefitting from it as well. I also feed Coral Heaven food from IPSF once a week and this stuff reminds me of Miracle Grow for the garden. Over the last 4 weeks since I've been using it the corals have really responded well.

I hope that helps explain my logic in placing some of the corals where I did. So far my research seems to have paid off but who knows. It seems everyday in this hobby some new challenge pops up that makes you go ... 'what the ...? . ???

harbingerofthefish

damn nice responses :D , It looks as if you read my other post, so it's good not to have to copy that.

Most of the info you wrote is right inline with waht I've digested. I have 45 watts on a 7 bow. It's good to see a tank that has done weel, very well, and to get feed back from a source that takes into consideation all the aspects of keping these creatures healty.

Judging by the responses we both have many of the same LPSs in the same placement (though the light in my tank is a litttle up comparatively).

i appreciate your replys a god reefing to you.

Smokin-Reefer

all I can really says about your tank is.....

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

I hope my tank can look half as good as yours one day.

keep up the good work.

you make me proud to be a midwestern nano reefer!

-dan

Originally posted by Smokin-Reefer

you make me proud to be a midwestern nano reefer!

-dan

Thanks Dan! Lincoln? I graduated from UNL and have relatives all over Lincoln! :) Born and raised in Nebraska so nice to see some 'reef'ers from my home state.

Hopefully the Huskers will get back on track this year. ;)

Smokin-Reefer

Husker football will never be the same as it was in 94 :(

If you're ever in town, drop me a email, You can check my tank out!

Ever go to the omaha henry dorly zoo's aquarium?

AWESOME!

Great job with the nano Jeff! It's coming together very nicely :)

Watch the ricordia's though... that they don't get aggresive towards the candy cane. I noticed some tissue damage on the branch closest to the ric-shroom.

Thanks Dan! :) And thanks for the lookout. It's crazy that you can look at your tank all day long and miss the obvious. I have since shifted things around as I want that small candy cane frag to make it!

Don't mention it Jeff. I've started a new thread. Have you seen my new additions... a 4gal refugium and a couple of clams :D

Dan

(Hook'em Horns)

reefphreak

Nice tank. I also love the Klipsch desktop speakers. I once had the 5.1 setup but the ex took that when she left. :(

Archived