Innovative Marine Aquariums

don't rag on the pic...anenome?

harbingerofthefish

harbingerofthefish

Alright, I've tried taking pics of this thing, but because it's on the backside in a shaded area, it's damn hard.

At first sighting I thought this was a polyp of some kind. It's cherry red with what I thought was a white mouth. After feeding the tank one day I noticed it opening up, or rather the "mouth get larger" and the whole "polyp" started to flatten out.

Around the radius of the opening, small white balls, that at first looked like sand, then after 2-3 minutes the polyp had totally flttened, and the "balls" were stretched out in a radial pattern on clear-ish tentacles of various lengths.

closed it is the size of a pencil eraser, open it stretches out to a little larger than a quarter.

I believe it's not photosynthetic, due to the fact that is opened off and on through out the light cycle. It does open first thing in the morning though, and during feedings. It hasn't moved. It has a sponge growing right next to it, and neither seem to mind.

The piece of LR it's on has been in my tank since the beginning (8+ months).

Any ideas?>

I know this is a bad representation, but it's pretty close.

Hi I saw that thing already in one of my ID books, I'm sure.

Tonigth I'll browse my library and I'll give you my reply.

In anycase I remerber it is and anemone and it is not photosytetic.

I'll be more precise after research.

It could be a hydroid Jelly fish "dots with legs" here is a link to Dr. Rons web site click on the link "dots with legs". I have Cladonema jellyfish the ones that swim around the tank instead of walk.

http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm

Also here is a picture of one of the jellies on his site. I can't get a picture of mine. My digi-cam is a point and shoot and keeps focusing on the rocks and not the glass.

harbingerofthefish

mauro:

searched for that...nothing. As for feeding it...It's on a piece of rock I've had from the very beginning, it just formed a month ago. It must be feeding on something.

CUNROE:

I would believe this to be an anenome instead of a jelly. That is what the legs look like. But this thing appears like a polyp when closed. It may have been in my tank moving around until it found the plage it liked, but I'm thinking not.

Thanks for the help guys.

Archived