Top Shelf Aquatics

Pom pom crab with eggs

willieb18

I got my pom pom crab last week and it didn't have any eggs. Not today I seen it at feeding time and it has orange eggs. Will they hatch or just die off?

RayWhisperer

It's quite common. I've never heard of anyone reporting finding any young though.

I'm not exactly positive, but I believe the female of many crustaecian can hold sperm for long periods of time. They can fertilize their eggs just about any time. Also, many crabs have to go through a free floating larval stage. At which point the filter, fish, and corals would most likely rid you of all your larvae.

suppressive fire

mine do it like every 3 weeks it sucks because it makes her hide and when there ready my fish have a frenzy.

mine have eggs all the time - only once though did I watch her release her young up in to the water column (it looked like carbonation)

to which everything prompty had a buffet

Mine does it quite frequently too.. although mine tends to go psycho and eats everything in site - the other day I caught her holding a nassarius snail in her claws, and she also killed off a star snail... and a baby sexy shrimp... yeah, she gets pretty moody... :/

yeah, she gets pretty moody... :/

Wow, crazy - mine, too!

Oh, wait - you meant your crab, didn't you? I thought we were talking about our wives....

I don't have any fish. The only corals I have are zoas and ony candy cane polyp. My blue and red legs should eat some though right?

RayWhisperer
I don't have any fish. The only corals I have are zoas and ony candy cane polyp. My blue and red legs should eat some though right?

Doubtful, the larvae are released into the current. If any eventually settle, your hermits may. Still, it is most likely your filter will get them all.

Archived