inTank Media Baskets

Converting 55g FW to SW

Jackopus

No need to post twice on the same subject. If you feel you aren't getting a response just reply to your own thread and type in the word "Bump"

this will move it back to the top of the list so it is visible to others.

I felt I was in the wrong area in Advanced Topics, not trying to dual post....

but thanks...

still looking for some advice though?

They just moved the thread to where it belonged.

If is not that big of a deal this is how we got out SW tank. FW to SW.

Read and Read some more.

Do a search on here and see what you can find. Then ask more specific questions.

Best of luck.

keep the filters stand ... etc from the freshwater .. ditch the fish lights and decorations to start with ...

thanks, I have been reading some conversion stories on other threads, but they say nothing about whether it was a pain in the azz, or not

sounds simple enough...

I am just not into starting a 2 day project, and finishing weeks later behind schedule

thanks, I have been reading some conversion stories on other threads, but they say nothing about whether it was a pain in the azz, or not

sounds simple enough...

I am just not into starting a 2 day project, and finishing weeks later behind schedule

If you have all day to work on it, it should not take to long. It's really not a pain in a$$ just takes some time.

After you remove all the fw stuff MAKE sure you clean out your tank very good. I used vinager.

Make sure you have all your stuff ahead of time this help thing go smoother.

FYI for others who may ask....

Do you have a freshwater (FW) aquarium that you would like to, or have thought about converting over to saltwater (SW)? There are undoubtedly many FW aquarists that have considered this, but are unsure as to how much of their FW components and equipment can used for a conversion. With a few exceptions, most of your FW components and equipment can be used for this purpose. That being said, let's get down to the individual components.

The Aquarium

Aquariums are not specifically designed and built for use as either a FW or SW tank. The glass or acrylic material used is the same for both, as is the silicone adhesive used in construction, but each material does have its pros and cons. As far as tank size, SW tanks tend to be a bit larger, although the mini and micro reef tanks are becoming more popular all the time. A FW tank even as small as five gallons "can" be converted into a SW aquarium, but be advised that small tanks are rather touchy and unforgiving to work with, and a vast majority of experienced SW aquarists will tell you to start to with no less than a 55 gallon tank.

Filters and Filtration

Filtration in a SW aquarium is a bit more involved than that in FW. Since biological filtration is the backbone of a SW system, filter selection is undoubtedly THE most important part of the SW set up process. In all likelihood the filter equipment you are presently using will need to be replaced. The small hang-on-tank biowheel and box, or in-tank corner type filters commonly used in FW tanks are usually inefficient in SW tanks. The traditional undergravel filter (UGF) set ups, although still used by many SW aquarists, contribute to unwanted nitrate problems as the tank matures, and they have lost their popularity as more advanced filtration systems like wet-dry trickle and canister type filters with bio-media chambers have been developed.

As far as what type of filter and filtration method to use, there are no set rules. Every aquarist has an opinion as to which set up is best, but the easiest way to figure out what you may need for your SW tank change over is to decide on whether you want a fish-only or a reef tank system, research the various filtration methods and filter set ups one has to choose from, and then pick one based on what "you" want to try. However, something to consider here is that even if you are starting out with a fish-only tank, it doesn't hurt to begin with a filter set up that can be used for a reef tank. By doing so, in the future if you decide you want to progress into this type of system, you can save some money by not having to invest in a whole new set up.

Pumps and Powerheads

Most all pumps and powerheads used in FW can be used in a SW set up with no problems, as long as they are rated as safe to use in SW. In general, SW tanks use more pumps and/or powerheads to attain greater water movement and circulation, and particularly with reef tanks they aid in the growth and health of corals.

Substrate

The most common type of FW aquarium substrate used is that made of course, large sized gravel or rock material, and comes in a wide variety of colors. It is very decorative, and it does serve as the biological filter base just as the substrate does in a SW tank. However, this type of media is not appropriate for use in a SW tank.

Silurian100

I just changed my FW into a reef a couple months ago. It was not difficult at all. I began by cleaning out the tank really well, then I put RO water in the tank, added the correct amount of salt, put some LR in it for a few months and let it sit open top. Looked stupid, but it worked well. After 3 months, I checked my levels and everything was perfect. I then added sand, powerheads and a great filter, and a protien skimmer. I am now waiting another month or so to be on the safe side. I will slowly add reef-safe clean up crew members and begin adding soft corals after that. Oh yea, and I put a really expensive light it in too :P

Thanks Sil

I am going to give away the fresh water fish, and start the convert in July, while the wife and daughter are in Alabama...

keep us up to date on how things go. this will give you plenty of time to get all your stuff together and read up. what do you want to put in your tank?

Alrighty,

thanks for the response, I went to a new LFS, and found a kit deisigned to make the conversion easier.

Once I buy the materials, I'll post the contents my LFS manager used to make his kit. But here is the FW tank, I am converting. If anybody in the Davis county area of utah wants some FW fish, and plants. PM me...

post-28259-1180294814_thumb.jpg

Another stupid question....

Should I remove the back glass, and replace it with pre-drilled Lexan, or is there a way to cut the glass.

I got the drawings all ready for the sump/skimmer/refug. system...

Archived