Coral Vue Hydros

Eclipse 12 - More Light (among other things) Mod

jdsabin1

I have put an Aquaclear 150 HOB filter on the back of my Eclipse 12 so I could accomodate another 32 watt CSL Supernova Retrofit smartlight. I was able to remove the under the hood stock filter and get back 35% of that light area that the stock filter was taking up. I also attached a cheap (READ: $9) Aquaclear Surface Skimmer to make sure that film was not at the top of the water.

I got the specialty hardware like nylon spacers, plastic screw caps, stanless steel bolts and locking washers at Lowe's. I arranged the lights to be white-blue-blue-white. I used a Rotozip to notch area that you see in the picture to accomodate things as I moved them around (heater) and also had to notch the wider area on the plastic brace piece around the tank so the Aquaclear could fit on the rear lip of the tank.

As soon as I do my water change tomorrow morning and rearrange some of my corals I will snap some pics with both of the lights on. When I turned them on with the lid off the tank I needed sunglasses! Whew - very bright!

Some concerns that I will need to keep an eye on include:

a) Heat - (I made a custom fan to fit over the hood when it's open to suck hot air out although with the notched areas I have at the rear of the tank I could probably blow the air into the tank now as well. Only time will tell from a heat standpoint.

B) Evaporation - Will be greater now that there is some more open space in the back of the tank. Perhaps an auto-topoff is in my future?

c) Light - How will all my corals react to this increase in light? Will algae suddenly become a problem? I do run Rowaphos 24/7/365, run carbon constantly also (change it out every 4 weeks or so) and do 3 gallon water changes every week.

Anyway, I will add to this thread with pictures, etc and hopefully it will help other Eclipse 12 owners if they want to add more light to their system.

Thanks,

-Jeff

eclipsemoda.jpg

eclipsemodb.jpg

eclipsemodc.jpg

eclipsemodd.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any updates on your heat from the two supernovas? I have one in my eclipse 12 and am thinking about adding another as you have.

Thanks!

I have since moved on to the Coralife 96 Watt external light for more watts. The 64 watts did give me a heat problem that while it wasn't unmanageable it did create a higher temp than I was interested in. I now keep my tank at 80 degrees and it rarely moves from there.

fullview.jpg

Do you get a lot of evaporation from the new setup? Does that fit on an acrylic eclipse 12 without any mods? Do you have a website link to that light?

Thanks!

I do get more evaporation but don't let that slow you down. A lot of people must get the impression that I am losing gallons of water a day now and that is just not the case. I manually topoff once a day and I do add more water but it's not THAT much more. I am getting an auto topoff from physh1 anyday and that wil take care of manually adding it too.

You are looking at it ON an Eclipse 12 without mods :). I got the legs also from Hellollights cheap.

Link is here:

http://www.hellolights.com/201xcoaqpcho.html

HTH!

Do you think its necessary to have a HOB filter at all after installing those lights? I was thinking of just using powerheads and my LR/LS for filtration. My tank is up against a wall so I can't have something hanging off the back unless I move the tank...which I don't want to do.

Thanks!

Archived