Cultivated Reef

What to feed a mantis?

SeeDemTails

SeeDemTails

Title says it all. I got a mantis in my LR, and am gonna catch him and put him in my buddys 8 gal reef. What should I feed it/ use to bait the trap?

SeeDemTails

I tried mysis and he looked, but it didnt draw hit out enough.

I am gonna put a peice of shirmp in for a few hours and see what happens. I also have access to slatwater feeder-sized shrimp, I might try that too. I am pretty sure he is a stabber.

ghost shrimp will be fine, and not mysis shrimp krill are a little bit bigger. If he doesnt eat it you shouldnt have trouble removing it.

if youre trying to trap it, use the bottle trap. bait with krill. figure out where the mantis hangs out and point the trap opening towards it and very close to it.

i would be very much surprised it it was a spearer. i havent yet heard of a single spearer hitchin in. only one species i know of might conceivably hitch but even it is unlikely.

get a pic and i or some one else can probably ID it for you. do you know where the LR is from? specifically TBS?

lil'wrasse cool

can you just take the rock out and put it in a pail and turn the lights down and wait for him to come out and then remove the rock. or throw some cooked shrimp in the bucket till he comes out? This is nano reef so i think most tanks can have a piece of LR removed :D

SeeDemTails

He would be out of the rock and into the next the second my hand touched it. He can dart into holes the size of a pencil.

Still no catch...I am going to try again in the next few days....he has to be getting REAL hungry! He hasnt had anything to eat in over a month!

Archived