Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tank readings

DongShenYin

DongShenYin

Ok, I set up the tank on Monday... added live rocks and live sand to the saltwater already in the tank. My tools are listed in my signature. I took a sample of water to the LFS for testing today (Saturday). The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all at 0, while the pH tested at 7.7! I went home and did some more testing, and the pH read 8.0 while the alk was 2 meq/L and the calcium was 360. Now... did the tank already finish cycling because of the rocks and sand, or do I need to add something to start the cycle? Also, how can I bump up my pH, alk, and calcium? Use b-ionic? Who makes that? I can't seem to find it. Also, when into the photoperiod is the best time to measure true pH? Halfway?

sorry if i'm post wh*ring a bit today. :blush:

you might want to drop some flake food, fish guts, or shrimp (as some peeps prefer :P ) to kick start the bacteria breakdown process. one week? that's a bit fast for cycling ime. each stage NH3 and NO2 usually take a week each.

b-ionic is actually made in brooklyn. i don't know any ols that's close other than championlighting.com that carries it. they and customaquatics.com (sponsor) are the cheapest sources i've found (i'm waiting for drs. pet-mart to figure out it's a popular item and start carrying it). custom's all the way in CA tho so for you that'd be a little weird but then again i've been ordering via the brooklyn-ca-nj route too. (just bit the bullet and got the 8-gal option finally, after years of 2-gal buying)

while b-ionic is the best imo (short of a reactor) for addressing low pH/ca/alk, i prefer using bicarbonate buffers. Proper pH (AP) or Kent Marine's Super Buffer. my pref is to control pH first and then go after the calcium or alk. you could very well go after all three with b-ionic tho. i just also like having a buffer only on hand, just in case. (b-ionic part 1 is one actually but that's for another discussion)

if you're suspicous of your pH then i would take multiple readings and average them. but you're right to avoid pegging the pH at certain times. but also note that you should know how low or high it gets until you're settled in with the tank and the hobby imo. hth

DongShenYin

I've read the instructions on the Kent Buffer and I'm afraid of overdosing. It refers to 20-30 gallons and doesn't give exact measurements. (Mixing the buffer with a glass of water???) And yeah, I'm gonna check the pH when the lights come on, halfway through, and just before they turn off to see what's what. Thanks!

Archived