Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nass snails and emerald crabs

medachef

First question... one of my Nass snails has been on the glass for a couple of days now and it has been leaving a cobwebby residue on hte areas it is on. I moves very little, but when it does there is this stringy residue. Anyone have an idea? I'd postt a pic bu the wife would kill me if she sees a flash go off now.

Second, i thought emerald crabs only eat algae. I caught one going to town on a trochus snail. I also noticed an empty nass shell, maybe he is the culprit. I tred to get him out, but he ran into the LR. Any suggestions on removing it?? (without breaking down my LR?) earlier today he stole a frag of green frill mushroom. and i had a tg of war with him for my green button polyp frag. I just got them in so maybe he smelled some new food?? I think it is time i got rid of it. I may bring him back the the LFS, unless anyone on here wants him?? trade? I'll trade for just about anything, except snails... i have way to many.

LMK

the slimey stuff from the snails is harmless.

emeralds (all crabs really) will at some point eat anything and everything that comes near their mouths, hermits included. try isolating the area it is on by pulling the rock out and placing it in qt. crabs always hide, you might be able to lure it our more easily if it's in qt

It's probably just my particular emerald... but everytime I stick a green net in the tank, the emerald comes out and reaches for it like a little kid grabbing for candy.

It's basically impossible for me not to catch him when I'm trying to scoop something up

i wonder if crabs can see colors?? Maybe he thinks it's algae. BTW, i got him out last night. I left the dead snail there an i waited dressed in black like a ninja :ninja: so he wouldn't see me. I actually kept my tongs in the tank next to the snail the whole time. He came out to feast once again. And yes it was his last meal. Well ata lesat in my display tank. I tossed him in the cheato tank. Just a tank with old water change water and cheato trimmings growing. tossed in the snail too, just to be nice. ;):lol:

It's probably just my particular emerald... but everytime I stick a green net in the tank, the emerald comes out and reaches for it like a little kid grabbing for candy.

It's basically impossible for me not to catch him when I'm trying to scoop something up

Archived