inTank Media Baskets

feather duster mob

Joe b

Hello I have a 3 gallon pico that has been up and running for a week. I used water and lr from the lfs and they said I wouldn't have a cycle. I've noticed 3 feathers in the first couple days and now I can count 9. Should I be feeding them? I'm I going to have a cycle? Everyone keeps grilling me cus I have 2 turbos 2 hermits in there. Also 5 mushrooms and coraline alge. Any advice welcome

circusordie16

you dont need to worry about the feather dusters, theyll be fine on their own. not so sure about the cycle, youll just have to wait and see. either way, those turbos might be kinda large for your tank.

Should I get different snails? They aren't to big right now. I got them. Because everyone says they are great cuc

B)-->

QUOTE(Joe b @ May 22 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Should I get different snails? They aren't to big right now. I got them. Because everyone says they are great cuc

You know, they are great, but, right now I would be willing to say that you don't have enough stuff growing in your tank to feed them. I have one large Turbo for my 30 gallon. He is a great cleaner, but he drives me nuts knocking stuff off the rocks. Just some food for thought! And, if you want to feed the feather dusters...you can buy a liquid plankton and feed them every other day or so, they also love kalkawasser...have fun! :)

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joe b @ May 22 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

You know, they are great, but, right now I would be willing to say that you don't have enough stuff growing in your tank to feed them. I have one large Turbo for my 30 gallon. He is a great cleaner, but he drives me nuts knocking stuff off the rocks. Just some food for thought! And, if you want to feed the feather dusters...you can buy a liquid plankton and feed them every other day or so, they also love kalkawasser...have fun! :)

I think the turbos might be liking their new home. They do keep it clean with the help of the 2 reef hermits. I should be picking up so kal tommorrow. I'm not totally convinced that what I have are feather dusters, a couple do look like the Hawaiian type. They come out of the lr and if you move to fast to the tank they hide but not long till they come back. Feather dusters or not I like em.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joe b @ May 22 2007, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

they also love kalkawasser...have fun! :)

DON'T PUT KALK NEAR THEM. Many people use kalk to kill aptasia, it can do the same to FD worms. If you dose your tank that is great, but don't target the dusters!

They eat microscopic things that live in the water. Phytoplankton, and microscopic zoo plankton. I am not positive, but I think they also eat stuff like protizoan in the water. Mine have been fine, and are growing in my tank for the last 3 months without me "feeding" them.

What color are yours? Mine are white. I got mine from a local pet store that has them growing in their SW tanks. They sell them for $0.25 each. I think I have about 40 of them as a little 'duster forest on the bottom of my tank in the sand. It is kinda cool. :)

As for the turbos, they are great CUC if you have algae. If your tank is too new to have algae, then they may end up starving. Also they bull-doze through stuff. I am always picking up different frags off the bottom of my tank and putting them back in place. Sometimes my turbos even break the superglue that I have used to fix the frags in place. I ended up taking most of my turbos back to the LFS to trade for smaller snails. I needed more of them, but they are more gentle as well. I have cerenth and nerites mostly. I also have a couple of margarete snails that I got before I found out that they don't live too long in warm water tanks. :(

Keep testing your water to see if you get any ammonia or nitrite. It can kill your snails, but the crabs and 'dusters should be able to live through an amonia spike.

Good luck and happy reefing :)

dsoz

nanoreef58

do not feed them kalkwasser, you are going to send your alk levels high in a pico and the dusters are filter feeders and don't eat kalk

lil'wrasse cool

I had none about 2 months ago now some how they just found a spot they liked and must be close to a 100 some pink and bigger and most are white. I think they came from the cheato I bought. all of them on the under side of a rock

IMG_1501.jpg

coolwaters

lol yeah thats want happen to me. i dont care really they seem like cool things. just wished they would get huge XD and i'll just relocate them and make a bush of feather dusters

lol yeah thats want happen to me. i dont care really they seem like cool things. just wished they would get huge XD and i'll just relocate them and make a bush of feather dusters

IME hitcher dusters never get huge but they will reproduce in your tank and they are always beautiful and fascinating. They appreciate phyto.

--Diane

Archived